How to Paint a Bathroom Cabinet (Extra Smooth)

Old 10-11-03, 10:48 PM
J
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How to Paint a Bathroom Cabinet (Extra Smooth)

I bought a wall cabinet for my bathroom and got a great deal on it. It is white and although the box says wood, it almost looks like a wooden overlay on a type of pressboard(?). It is extremely smooth and I am wanting to paint over it. Should I use Kilz first? Either way, once I either Kilz or don't, what type of paint should I use to paint it with?

Old 10-12-03, 07:55 AM
C
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For a smooth brushed finish, prime the wood with Zinsser 123 or its equivalent. Lightly sand when dry, then apply first coat. Strain the paint before you start. Sand between coats with 180 -240 grit paper. Use a top quality brush along with top quality paint for reduced brush marks. Woodwork is usually painted with semi-gloss paint. Paintng considerations include: clean surfaces.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-12-03, 10:30 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When sanding between coats, wipe the surface with a "tack cloth" to pick up dust and residue from sanding.

Old 10-18-03, 05:29 PM
KeithP
Visiting Guest
I would apply two thinly-applied coats of an aklyd ('oil') melamine as it is self-priming over laminates, it self-levels (smooths-out)well and has a low sheen, much like melamine itself...apply with a high density foam roller such as a 'whizz' brand, allowing 24 hours between coats and sand/tack rag between coats...my two cents worth...best of luck.

Keith

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: