Rust on Steel Door

Old 10-17-03, 12:33 PM
kianje
Visiting Guest
Rust on Steel Door

I have a steel entry door that is bubbled under the paint with rust. A year ago I sanded it down, as it was not too bad, put some naval jelly on it trying to remove any remaining rust, primed it and repainted. It is now bubbled and pitted worse than it was a year ago. Any suggestion on how to remove the rust and keep it from bleeding back thru? This door is mostly glass with a 10" steel border at the top and bottom and about 6" borders on each side so I am guessing it would be costly to replace.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-03, 02:00 PM
brickeyee
Visiting Guest
Use a rust conversion coating instead of trying to remove the rust with naval jelly. Auto paint suppliers should have quart bottles if you cannot find it anywhere else. You remove loose rust, lightly sand to smooth, then paint the stuff on. It reacts with the rust and turns dark, then hardens to a solid film. It will not work if all the rust is removed.

Old 10-20-03, 06:39 AM
kianje
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the reply. Am I understanding correctly that I Do Not remove all of the rust, just sand it down smooth and apply. I noticed at Home Depot they have something by Rustoleum called "rust reformer". Would that work if I cannot find the rust conversion stuff?

Also I notice I am going to have some pitting. What can I fill that in with?

Thanks

Old 10-21-03, 09:17 AM
mudder
Visiting Guest
i've never had much luck with conversion coatings or rustoleum,tremclad and the like, sand and use a grinder fill with bondo and repaint, harder but works

Old 10-21-03, 01:45 PM
brickeyee
Visiting Guest
The auto paint store rust converters work very well. I have not used the Rustoleum. the coating left is a stable black oxide that can be painted over without additional priming with darker colors.

Old 10-21-03, 01:58 PM
kianje
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the replies. Brickeyee, what would you do about the pitting?