Chunks in the paint

Old 10-27-03, 01:23 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Chunks in the paint

Hi -

I consider myself a reasonably experienced DIY painter, but every so often (it just happened yesterday, as a matter of fact), I am faced with a problem that I can't figure out:

I open up a partially-full gallon can of paint, stir it from bottom up for a minute or two, pour it into the roller pan, load up the roller, start painting, and lo and behold there are small chunks of paint on the wall and in the tray. None are very big, and I call them paint "scabs". when I pull them out, they feel rubbery.

The can I used yesterday had last been used a couple of months ago, so it's not like the stuff was sitting around for years.

The guy at the paint store said I probably didn't stir it enough.

I store my paint cans upside-down, on a suggestion from the same guy.

This has happened to me a few times over the years, and never on a can of paint that has been suitting around for a long time. The chunks are not coming from the roller tray, because I wash it out after every use (I know, extra work that I hate, but I do it).

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks

Dave

Old 10-27-03, 04:59 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I see this happen all the time with semi-gloss paints. If its happening in a flat paint, it would be odd. I would say buy a good straining screen and use that each time. I know, more work, I hate that too

BTW, I always suggest storing cans upside down too. And right before capping them off, blow in them forcing out the oxygen and replacing it with carbon dioxide. Don't know if this works, but alot of old timers did this when I started back when.

Old 10-27-03, 05:13 PM
C
I am even worse than that, I just strain the paint every time. It is messy, but I dislike the chunks of undissolved pigment or whatever messing up the paint job. The strainer bags are cheap at $1.00 each and last until you tear one or lose it.

Old 10-28-03, 06:58 AM
sir_jeffrence
Visiting Guest
I have noticed that if the paint is stored somewhere where there's a lot of heat, then paint boogers will form. Try to keep it stored in a cooler environment and strain the paint prior to use, especially if you use a sprayer.

Old 10-28-03, 07:48 AM
D
Thank you

Thanks for all the replies. It is very helpful to know I am not the only one that this happens to.

Dave

Old 11-04-03, 08:49 PM
P
If you guys have wives or girlfriends or your that type of guy (lol) just use their old nylons or pantyhose to strain the paint. Cut off a 6-8 inch strip tie a not on one end and yopur all set , and if you fold a longer one into itesl then tie a not and you have a finer strainer. When using oil based paints they tend to skin over and could be the cause of the "scabs"

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: