Painting vaulted ceiling

Old 10-28-03, 07:03 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Painting vaulted ceiling

Hi,

My vaulted ceiling is about 18 feet high. I'd like to paint it myself but I don't know how pros do it. My options are:

1. Stepladder - Even HD does not carry 14-16 foot stepladders. They are $400 and special order. Not sure I'm totally comfortable with this anyhow and there would be a lot of up and down carrying paint etc.

2. Scaffolding - I was told this can be rented. Seems like the safest option.

3. Pay someone to paint this room.

We would like to paint the ceiling white whereas the walls will be a different color so there will be a lot of cutting in (no spraying).

How do the pros do this?

Thanks

Old 10-28-03, 11:16 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
In this case I would use a 16' or 20' extension ladder to go around the edge of the room to cut it in with a brush. Up this high, I usually cut in at least 6".

Then I cover everything in the room, and get a 8' x 16' rolling pole and roll it from the floor. Or I'll use a slightly shorter pole while standing on a 6' or 8' stepladder. Its tough on your neck and shoulders, but halfway through the pain goes away.

If you need to cut in something in the middle of the ceiling, like a fan or light, get a "long-arm" brush holder that clamps onto the rolling pole. Gently cut in around high unreachable stuff with this.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-29-03, 01:49 PM
A
Thanks Prowallguy, excellent advice. Do you rig a hook on a paint bucket and hang it from the ladder? I'll probably need to keep one hand on the ladder if you know what I mean.

Old 10-30-03, 05:21 AM
Yes. A pot-hook is a must when painting off ladders.

Old 11-06-03, 06:59 AM
JaydesGrandma
Visiting Guest
Painting from stairs

I have the same challenge as AlexH and had figured out that I needed an extension ladder as you suggested for my 20' foyer.

But a turned staircase is along one of the vaulted walls. I can't figure out how to position a ladder to accomplish this. If I place the ladder on one of the landings, I think the angle will be to steep. If I place the ladder on the floor and angle it across the staircase, I think the angle of the bannister will interfere.

Like AlexH, spraying isn't an option as I would be applying a brushed faux finish.

How would the pros handle this?

Thanks!

Old 11-06-03, 10:12 AM
A
The guy at the paint store told me that one way is to rent scaffolding - a real pain but you may not have any choice. You can place a ramp between scaffolds.

How can you brush the paint on the ceiling using a extension ladder? Don't you have to have access to the entire ceiling?

Old 11-06-03, 02:11 PM
JaydesGrandma
Visiting Guest
Oops... my bad. I'm actually painting walls in a room with vaulted ceilings. The solution for reaching the area where the highest point of the walls meet the highest point of the ceiling in order to cut-in was the same for me... the extension ladder.

I'm sorry if I caused any confusion.

Thanks for the scaffolding tip. That seemed to be all I could come up with as a solution myself. However, I have seen ladders which seem to have some sort of a "peg leg" for unlevel ground or steps, but... I'm not to confident about that solution.

Thanks again!

Old 11-06-03, 08:42 PM
The 'peg-leg' ladder stabilizers are scary in my world. I have come across many bizarre configurations over the years as to how to get up to different heights at different angles. I usually end up buying equipment to get there figuring I'll use it again down the road. One purchase I made was a 7' combination step ladder. It works as a step ladder, an extension ladder, or it offsets in the step ladder position to sit on a stairwell. I can put it on a stairwell, and run a walkboard or plank from it to another extension ladder equipped with a ladder jack.

Half the fun is figuring out how the heck I'm gonna get way up there

Old 11-10-03, 06:38 AM
JaydesGrandma
Visiting Guest
Found what looks like a great solution! It's a Gorilla Ladder. Apparently, they are all multifunctional, but so far, this one suits my needs perfectly:

* 21' Extension ladder with flared ends for stability. (9 adjustable working heights -- 10' 11"" to 18' 11")
* Double-sided step ladder (5 adjustable heights -- 5' 5" to 9' 5")
* Converts to multi-height scaffold (up to 3' 10")
* Adjustable positions allow for placement on stairs and because you can adjust the angle, you should be able to position correctly for balance, etc. (adjustable positions from 5' 5" to 9' 5").

So far, I've used it to access and paint the upper-most reaches of my cathedral ceiling (18'). The flared ends made it really quite stable.

I think this was a great value for $198. I would have spent that much for an extension ladder alone!

Since painting from the steps was my original challenge, I'll update you on how that worked out with this product.

Old 11-10-03, 09:50 AM
A
Hi JaydesGrandma,

Can't find this on the web. What's the name of the manufacturer?

Did you get it at a major store?

Thanks

Old 11-10-03, 03:57 PM
This Gorilla Ladder sounds just like the Little Giant ladder. Do a Google search for little giant, you should find one.

Old 11-14-03, 06:32 PM
JaydesGrandma
Visiting Guest
Tried to find it online to link to in my previous post, but couldn't find the exact one I'd purchased... and I believe the manufacturer is indeed, Gorilla. I got mine at Home Depot.

A search for Gorilla Ladder on HomeDepot.com shows some Gorilla Ladders, but I didn't see this particular one... new model perhaps? There were plenty in the store though. (I'm in Stroudsburg, PA)

Sorry for the delay in responding.

Old 11-14-03, 06:39 PM
JaydesGrandma
Visiting Guest
I should have checked out the Little Giant ladder before posting my recent reply.

You're absolutely correct! The Little Giant ladder is the same thing. Little Giant is pricier though. But, its fiberglass construction has got to be the reason why! Gotta tell you, manipulating this Gorilla is kickin' my butt!

It's not real bad, but for an old gal like me it's a real tussle!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: