paint steel exterior door

Old 10-30-03, 02:58 PM
mloman
Visiting Guest
paint steel exterior door

I just bought a pre-primed steel exterior door from Lowe's and have some questions:

1) What kind of paint would be best?

2) What kind of brush should I use to avoid streak marks?

3) Should I tust the factory primer to do the job, or should I apply another coat? If so, what kind?

4) There's plastic moulding around the glass window. Should I roughen this up with sand paper? Or just paint it as is.

Thanks for any suggestions.

-Marcus

Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-03, 04:27 PM
KeithP
Visiting Guest
Where do you live? I'm in Canada and we have to watch the weather conditions before we begin a job at this time of year.

'Best' is a relative term. Exterior acrylics will flex better and not fade as easily as oils can. Some folk like the easy 'flow' and levelling properties of oil (helps to reduce brush marks) and it's glossy sheen. The factory primer should be just fine as long as it's clean and free of dirt and oil. I'd roll what I could and brush the rest. That way you'll reduce brush marks too. Buy the best brush and paint you can afford. It's tough to get paint to stick to that plastic without priming it first. If left as is, it tends to yellow in the UV sunlight. I'll wait for your reply before going further and some of the other regulars will be bound to have a go at your question too. The more ideas, the better you are.

Keith

Old 10-30-03, 07:26 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
1. Exterior latex semi-gloss

2. 3" nylon/polyester blend

3. If its in good shape, trust it

4. Just lightly scuff it with steel wool, then prime

My 2 cents

Old 10-31-03, 04:45 AM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Stanley and other metal door makers that are sold around here recommend only top grade latex paints. Priming with a latex bonding primer is optional. I prime if a person has a can of special door color paint that I didn't provide or use.....Mike

Old 10-31-03, 07:02 AM
Mike has a real good point. If I'm not providing the finish color, and I have to use a paint I'm less than enthusiastic about, then I prime just to cover my own butt.

Old 11-01-03, 08:49 PM
D
Going against the norm

Hi -

I've painted a number of 6-panel doors with a brush, and I have always been very unhappy with the results. Then, on a door that was not going to be seen all that much, I tried using a 4" roller. I still had to brush the sides of each panel (you know, the part that is slanted with the bit of detail), but the roller on the flat parts gave me a great result. This is now the way I paint doors. I know this is probably something that most experienced painters would not do, but I can say I'm very happy with the results.

Dave

Old 11-02-03, 04:54 AM
I also use a 4" roller with a mohair nap for doors. I roll on a nice even coat, then brush it out, working on each section at a time. We were taught this back in the day to make a steel door look like it was made with wood panels.

Old 11-03-03, 11:16 PM
P
If you can get your hands on DTM (Direct To Metal paint it works great. I use it to spray paint doors. Excellent adhesion and durability