Painting over rust from drywall

Old 11-02-03, 01:05 AM
Kimmer
Visiting Guest
Painting over rust from drywall

I hope someone has an idea to help me with this problem. I want to repaint my basement walls ( 20 yr old house, builders paint in basement on drywall). It seems the rust from all the corners of the drywall is showing through as dark spots.
What will cover this?

Old 11-02-03, 03:56 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Quick easy fix:

A spray can of Kilz

Old 11-02-03, 06:47 AM
KeithP
Visiting Guest
Or to simply repaint as you want, prime the walls with an oil-based primer, such as Kilz or your favorite brand...it wouldn't hurt to 'spot prime' the worst areas first, then prime the entire room...you may then paint with a latex paint of your choosing.

Keith

Old 11-02-03, 09:39 AM
Kimmer
Visiting Guest
I need the basics too, Is it all right to put an oil-based primer on when I'm not sure what sort of paint is on there now ?

Old 11-02-03, 10:05 AM
KeithP
Visiting Guest
No problem...oil will go over whatever is there...it's the putting of latex over mystery coatings that can be the problem....you're fine.

Old 11-02-03, 10:34 AM
Kimmer
Visiting Guest
Thanks Keith P,
I'm new to this handy- girl stuff. Ok so I can put latex paint over oil primer which could be on latex paint.
This " Kilz " brand is avalible in Ont. hardware stores? One more newbie Q... When measuring to calculate amout of primer/paint needed how do I include the boxed ceiling edge around the inner (heighest point) textured ceiling. Boy there's a lot I don't know !

Old 11-02-03, 12:16 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
zinnser primers are good, too

Kilz should be available. If not, zinsser primers are very good - perhaps the best. These should be widely available, too.

If the local big box (Home Depot, Lowes, Menards, ??) doesn't carry them you can find them at a paint store, such as Sherwin-Williams.

As for how much - thats just basic geometry, length times width. Ignore openings such as doors and windows unless you have a really big opening. If you run short, you can always get another gallon. All you would waste is time/gas making another trip to the store. Now - your top coats - its best to get all your paint at once and mix the gallons together or you will see slight shade differences, even with latex. So err on the side of caution. And plan on two coats of the final color.

One hint - if the top coat will be other than an off white, have the primer tinted to a medium grey.

Another hint - buy quality tools (brushes and rollers). They are indeed worth the money. The job goes faster and the results far superior with quality tools. Clean them well after each use and you will get many jobs out of them.

Old 11-02-03, 01:50 PM
KeithP
Visiting Guest
Kilz is a little harder to find here in Ontario, but you can also use Prime Lock by Insl-X, Odourless oil by Zinsser or any other quality oil-based primer. Some are higher in odour than others so the Odlourless we sell is an excellent product. Where do you live if I might ask? I'm in Toronto. You may pm-me and perhaps I can locate a dealer near to you.

Keith

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: