difficulties with painting textured ceiling

Old 11-05-03, 07:15 AM
sfreese
Visiting Guest
difficulties with painting textured ceiling

i recently attempted to freshen up some spots on our textured ceiling. i used the fluffiest, thickest roller i could find and a good quality flat latex paint (can't use oil due to asthma, allergies). i had just gotten started and was about 2 feet from the corner when suddenly an entire texture layer came off on the roller, exposing the drywall! patching was not a big deal since it was a small hole, but now i'm scared to paint my ceilings! can anyone tell me what i did wrong, or if there are some tricks i should employ next time?

thanks!

Old 11-05-03, 01:31 PM
KeithP
Visiting Guest
This usually happens when the stipple has never been painted for the first time...the recommended application is a flat oil ceiling paint as it won't damage the stipple as like what just happened to you...in your case, use Zinsser's odourless oil primer FIRST, to seal it down, then look at the white when dry (it's a nice finishing white colour) and if you like it, leave it, but I'd then apply your finish coat of flat latex ceiling paint over the primer and you'll be safe now, and on each subsequent painting of that ceiling...it won't soften and roll off on you next time....you can also use a splifoam roller sleeve to apply your paint as it won't be as heavy to hold over your head as the higher pile lambswool or polyester sleeves are, but either one is fine.

Keith

Old 11-05-03, 04:09 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Yeah, this situation is my personal greatest nightmare in painting ceilings. Oil is the way, or a sprayer is effective too.

Old 11-05-03, 06:27 PM
sfreese
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the info, guys! I'm glad to know that there are some options to try. The house itself is about 25 years old, and I'm willing to bet that the ceilings have never been painted. I'll get a can of the oil primer and give it a shot--btw, how odorless is "odorless?" I'm assuming I'd be able to smell something, maybe just not overpowering if I open all the windows?

Old 11-05-03, 08:38 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Not to scare you but I have had instances where moisture has gotten under the stucco and pulled it away from the ceiling. Just to be sure you may want to take a scraper and check for any more loose areas before you do any repairs. Just a thought.

Old 11-06-03, 01:09 AM
KeithP
Visiting Guest
You're welcome...I've used the primer myself as have several of our contractors and it is barely noticeable...quite good and worth the purchase.

http://www.zinsser.com/product_detail.asp?ProductID=14

Old 11-06-03, 08:16 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
One more thing, you never mentioned what texture you have on your ceiling. I have to assume it's popcorn. If its falling off you will have to spray it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: