Painting over tile???

Old 11-11-03, 05:18 AM
F
fltchr1205
Visiting Guest
Painting over tile???

I have three bathrooms that are in need of updating. The house was built in the 1970's and the colors are, well, ugly (can you envision lemon, orange and green?) We don't have the money to pull down the tile and deal with new sheet rock. Is there a way to paint the tile? Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-03, 10:31 AM
F
floorman
Visiting Guest
im sure there is something to get you by for a while epoxy paint ,zolotone etc. i'l send thisover to the paint people and see what they say

Old 11-11-03, 03:58 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
2-part epoxy is the best route for this. Kinda hard to work with, pretty volatile, and smells very strong, but levels nicely and dries rock hard.

Old 11-12-03, 03:04 PM
K
KeithP
Visiting Guest
I assume you're talking about vertical surfaces here, wall tile. If that's the case, give them a scuff-sanding with 100-120 grit paper, then clean them with TSP (trisodiumphosphate)...get it from your paint store... and rinse clean, allow time to dry...next, prime the tile with a quality high adhesion bonding primer such as Bullseye 1-2-3, or if you can find it, UMA bonding primer (my choice for 'impossible-to-paint'-surfaces) ...

http://www.ximbonder.com/products.html

Allow 24 hours to dry, then paint. You can then use latex or oil as your topcoat. Hope this provides you with another useful option.

Keith

Old 11-13-03, 07:14 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Melamine Paint

I've used melamine paint on tile, we tested it and it stuck pretty good. Just a good washing with household ammonia and your ready to paint.