How Long will Primer Coat Last?

Old 11-13-03, 07:58 AM
stevec46
Visiting Guest
How Long will Primer Coat Last?

Hi,

I've scraped, sanded and primed the outside trim of my house (located in Texas). Unfortunately, I had to replace some trim pieces and due to the mis-cooperation between the weather and my available time, I now find myself with the house primed but the temperature dropping to the point where I have run out of time to apply the top coat, given the temperature. My question is, will the primer coat last until early spring for painting or would/should I re-prime at that time? In this part of TX, temperature doesn't get very cold and we experience little snow and occasionally some ice for a few weeks. Any advice is appreciated. I'd really hate to have to reprime all over again, assuming the surface stays fine and has been prepared properly.

Thanks!

Old 11-13-03, 08:13 AM
KeithP
Visiting Guest
What material did you prime exactly, and with what type of primer? You 'should' be ok until the weather improves but may need to clean the area first before painting. If it's a small area, I'd clean it, re-prime if necessary and then paint come spring. At least an oil primer will keep the weather out of the material until then.

Keith

Old 11-13-03, 08:16 AM
stevec46
Visiting Guest
Hi Keith,

It was both painted surfaces that were scraped and sanded and some new trim wood pieces. I used a latex based primer though.

Cleaning is okay, I just don't want to re-prime.

Thanks for your input.

Old 11-13-03, 08:23 AM
KeithP
Visiting Guest
No problem Steve...bare wood is best-primed though, using oil in my experience...it 'soaks in' and penetrates better than latex...but time will tell come spring...if you used a quality exterior primer, you might be just fine...the key is to keep the weather out of the material until you can topcoat it...I wouldn't worry about it too much...but if repriming is necessary, so be it...all that fresh air and such...at least it's not a repaint job...you should be fine man.

Old 11-13-03, 08:25 AM
stevec46
Visiting Guest
Thanks, again!

Old 11-13-03, 08:28 AM
KeithP
Visiting Guest
Anytime...and welcome to the forum.

Old 11-13-03, 12:51 PM
cweaver73
Visiting Guest
My local Sherwin-williams guy insists that primer does not last long . . certainly not through winter and if you are running out of time its best to put a regular coat on instead of wasting time/money on a primer.

i'm just a diy'er so dont; have direct experience with this but I though I woudl pass on his info.

Old 11-13-03, 04:29 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
That might be why your sherwin guy is 'selling' and not 'doing'

The primer should last throughout a Texas winter, but a Minnesota winter, thats a whole different story.

Old 11-14-03, 05:02 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
cold weather formulation

Cold weather formulations are available, if you are concerned.
How bad are your winters and how wet are your springs?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: