Venetian Plaster technique

Old 11-19-03, 08:59 AM
BillyB
Visiting Guest
Venetian Plaster technique

I'm considering using a Venetian plaster technique in my dining room. What are the pros and cons of such a finish? Are there any pitfalls awaiting me as I proceed with this project? Also, I've seen gallons of the plaster for this finish in stores running from $30 to $50, but I've also read that the plaster can be made by mixing paint or pigment with drywall compound. Does anyone have a sucessful recipe?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-03, 09:42 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I've used the pre mixed plaster you are talking about. I like them. The pros are you get a great finish, it shines like glass and is very smooth. The cons are it's not very durable and you have to have a really smooth surface to cover. You can tint mud but you get a uniform color, not the marbleing affect. Also you will have to apply sealer over it. If you like the look of the plaster in the can, that will be you best bet. If you want a more textured look you can put on texture then faux paint over that.

Old 11-22-03, 04:25 AM
Doyle Self
Visiting Guest
Billy
If you use the synthetic Venetian Plasters like you can buy at the paint store, I would apply very thin coats. Burnish while soon as the water is absorbed on the last coat and wax with Liberon neutral. Some people use drywall mud mixed with caulk, then paint and glaze then seal. Being trained in Italy I would not think of using the drywall mud. There are many places here in the USA to buy VP. Keep in mind what you get at a paint store is not really plaster. You should do I little research before you start your project. You will not be able to get the look I can because you do not have the access to the Italian Plasters or the training. But with a little research you will find a product that will please a homeowner. Get some sheetrock and cut into 2x2 squares. Do the entire process as many time as it takes to get atleast 2 consesent boards.
Have fun
Doyle

Old 11-22-03, 04:44 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Re: Venetian Plaster technique

Originally posted by BillyB
I'm considering using a Venetian plaster technique in my dining room. What are the pros and cons of such a finish? Are there any pitfalls awaiting me as I proceed with this project? Also, I've seen gallons of the plaster for this finish in stores running from $30 to $50, but I've also read that the plaster can be made by mixing paint or pigment with drywall compound. Does anyone have a sucessful recipe?
My wife painted the kitchen/breakfast area with the VP and liked it so much...did the bathroom in a different color. They came out great! Purchased all at Home Depot

Pro's:
*Great finish!
*Very unique

Cons:
*Very lengthy install process...several coats and sanding in- between coats to get the right effect. Then another coat of clear coat!
* Expensive- $30/gallon
*Not sure...but I would think difficult to change or paint over