Painting exterior (lap siding)

Old 11-20-03, 06:15 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Painting exterior (lap siding)

I'm in the process of painting the exterior (lap siding). The siding is old (40 years or so) and is a fiberboard material. The lower half of some of the siding boards had paint that had flaked off to bare wood. In addition, I scraped off paint (down to bare wood) that was loose and in the process of peeling. I then primed the bare wood sections with an oil based primer (Zinsser CoverStain), then applied the top coat (exterior flat latex, green tone). After looking at it, it appears that you can really see the difference between the scraped and non-scraped sections. The sections that were scraped to bare wood appear darker. I applied a second coat to the whole board, and its still noticeable. Is this just a fact of life that I have to live with, or did I do something wrong? What can be done (if anything) to make the scraped and non-scraped sections blend together better??

Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-03, 08:38 PM
C
It may be that priming the whole surface would have made a difference. Just the same, it seems that after a second coat it all would be the same. I doubt that you have done anything wrong. Sometimes we don't get what we expect. Let it dry for 24 hours and see how it looks.

Old 11-21-03, 09:19 AM
T
I wonder if it could be due to the difference in texture between the scraped and non-scraped sections? The lap siding is slightly lined/grooved (to simulate wood grain?), and the grooves are obviously deeper and more pronounced where the old paint had peeled completely away. A light reflection thing, perhaps??

Old 11-21-03, 10:02 AM
C
A light reflection thing, perhaps??
Perhaps. We all know how big a part light reflection plays in how things appear.