painting after wallpaper

Old 11-21-03, 05:33 AM
Troy1
Visiting Guest
painting after wallpaper

I have just stripped the wallpaper off my bedroom walls and I started to prime the walls with the Zinner water based primer. The primer is not sticking to the walls that well. What should I do? Do I stop and get a different type of primer? Should I try to get the primer I did put up off the walls? I have never had this happen before. Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-03, 05:54 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Didn't get all paste removed

Sounds like you didn't get all the paste off the walls. Are you sure you got down to the drywall? Some h/o mistake the wallpaper backing for "painted" drywall.
Did you wash the walls after stripping the paper?
If yes, did you use any detergent or other cleaning agent?

First, remove any loose primer. Then wash the walls with plain water. Some would recommend TSP, but I've not found that necessary. When that's done, wash the walls again using plain water. Let dry thoroughly. Then prime again.

Old 11-26-03, 06:51 PM
KeithP
Visiting Guest
I'd use an oil-based primer here just in case you can't get all the old adhesive off. Latex primers are not very well suited for this job. If you like Zinsser products, then use their odorless oil. If not available in your area, any oil primer will do, then paint. Oil for sure.

Keith.

Old 11-26-03, 08:13 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I've found that Gardz and DrawTite work very well on previously papered walls. But I also think oil is the route to go to.