Plastering Seams in Wood Paneling

Old 11-21-03, 12:04 PM
Carcam
Visiting Guest
Plastering Seams in Wood Paneling

I recently purchased on old 60's house with wall to wall wood paneling in the kitchen/breakfast nook. I attempted to tape and float the seams in the paneling (after two coats of high build primer) in order to get a cleaner look. The problem I have is that my tape is lifting with air pockets. Should I just keep applying more joint compound or should I try to remove what I've done (if that's even possible) and start again?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-03, 12:27 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bubbles under the tape show that it was not bedded. The bubbled areas need removing and replacing. Make sure the tape beds in the mud.

Old 11-22-03, 09:55 AM
brickeyee
Visiting Guest
The more I think about this, the more mesh tape looks attractive. There is no place for any real amount of mud to remain behind the paper tape. This will be like a flat joint in drywall (no bevel) only worse.

Old 11-22-03, 11:21 AM
I use mesh tape exclusively. I like its self-stick capabilities instead of having to bed the paper tape in mud.

Old 11-22-03, 12:04 PM
No matter what tape you use you will have to pre fill the gaps prior to taping. I would remove the paneling and hang drywall. You are going to have trouble with cracking.

Old 11-22-03, 02:00 PM
brickeyee
Visiting Guest
Unless the cracks/gaps are huge, setting goes through the mesh if mixed correctly and applied correctly. It very well may crack no matter what. The wood is going to move and pull on any material used to fill the joint.

Old 11-22-03, 07:21 PM
All gaps in paneling are too big to just tape over. Yes it will crack no matter what.