painting panelling

Old 11-22-03, 12:19 PM
atc
Visiting Guest
painting panelling

I want to paint over the old panelling in my dining room. Is Kilz a bonding primer? Should I degloss before I begin to paint?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-03, 05:40 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Paneling: clean with TSP or mineral spirits, deglossing if the surface is a gloss finish with a liquid deglosser or light sanding with 120 grit sand paper. Prime with a sealer - primer such as: Zinsser 123, paint with two coats of top quality acrylic, latex paint.

Kilz is a popular primer, but Kilz II has gotten a fair amount of bad press in the past.

Hope this helps.

Old 11-30-03, 06:14 AM
fltchr1205
Visiting Guest
ATC, I followed the same advice given to you on the paneling in our finished basement. The change was remarkable! My recommendation for applying both the primer and the paint would be foam rollers. I found one that would normally be used for corners (it is a small disk with a pointed edge). This worked great for getting down into the lines that run through the paneling. It took two coats of primer and two coats of paint, but the primer dries very quickly. It was very much a two person job so that there were no visable lines where we cut in, but we finished a 12x20 room as well as a hallway in a weekend. Good luck!

Old 11-30-03, 08:37 AM
Doyle Self
Visiting Guest
I would degloss by sanding some first. Then use XIM, Kiltz is very good for water stains, but not a bonding primer. Xim cost a bit more. But you will be much happier with the results for may years. I did this to my living room and then taped and muded the joints. You can not tell there is paneling underneath.
Doyle