What's the purpose of tape?

Old 11-23-03, 08:22 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What's the purpose of tape?

I am planning on using a textured paint to the seams do not have to be very smooth. If I don't use tape, do I have to worry about the seams cracking?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-03, 09:58 AM
C
Tape provides for a surface for the mud to seal, allows for some movement between surfaces, and keeps the mud from cracking.

Hope this helps.

Old 11-23-03, 01:16 PM
The seams will crack without tape, like Chfite says. Tape makes the sheets of drywall seamless. It would be like putting just the gypsum on the wall with no paper face. It would crack like crazy. Also be carefull, I think you are going to have to make it a lot smoother than you think for the texture. The seams will show right through. Better to be safe than sorry.

Old 11-23-03, 01:33 PM
B
Originally posted by coops28
The seams will crack without tape, like Chfite says. Tape makes the sheets of drywall seamless. It would be like putting just the gypsum on the wall with no paper face. It would crack like crazy. Also be carefull, I think you are going to have to make it a lot smoother than you think for the texture. The seams will show right through. Better to be safe than sorry.
I used tape (except in two corners!) just in case...but I was just curious would it would look like without it...and just using the mud.

I am using the storage room (6'X12') for practice...so I don't really care what it looks like when it's done...just wanted to test a few things out. I used tape on most all of the seams...but I will see how this textured paint does. I can't see how the seams could even show up though...but we will see.

Thanks for the help.

Old 11-28-03, 01:53 PM
B
Update...results

Originally posted by coops28

Well...this is what I did. I used tape and used very little mud. Barely sanded to see what I could get away with worst case scenerio. I could see seams real bad before I used the textured paint. I actually used a 4" putty knive to apply the paint, putting it on with like a criss-cross motion to get the effect of the walls you see in a lot of Italiam restaraunts. When it dried you could barely see the seams...so I hit the seams once more time and presto! No seams!

Another thing I discovered. After applying 2 gallons of the textured paint...I realized I needed at least another 3 gallons to finish the small room. I remember reading on the mud that you can apply it in different ways to get a texture of out...so I mixed some primer with it and gave that a shot...you can not tell the difference between the textured paint and my mixture (I applied it on the same wall)! So...I am taking the other $20 2 gallon bucket back and getting 2 5 gallon buckets of mud for the other rooms!

I plan on painting over it with a certain color (undecided) and I think it will turn out real nice!

Just thought I would share the results and expressed how happy I am with it!