brown bleeding thru

Old 11-24-03, 01:24 PM
bozzman2000
Visiting Guest
brown bleeding thru

I live in a small house(900sq ft). Every year brown starts bleeding thru the ceilings starting with the outer walls by the moldings, eventually covering the whole ceiling. We are smokers, however this brown does not wash off and doesn`t appear to be from smoking. I`ve tried every kind of paint including kilz and all products like it and the brown still comes thru after awhile. Any ideas what might be causing it and what i can do to stop it? thx

here are some pictures

http://www.bozzodrivers.com/brown/ceilings.html

I believe its either a painting problem, heat source problem or an insulation problem.

Last edited by bozzman2000; 11-24-03 at 01:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-03, 02:01 PM
cejbaba
Visiting Guest
as a painter i would think this is a attici nsulation problen that causes the brown youcan try to wash it with T S P..then use bins primer sealer then paint ...this is only a short term fix it but best get the attic looked at

Old 11-24-03, 02:12 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I have to say after staring at the pics for a while, it looks like nicotine bleeding through where the primer didn't seal properly. Did you use an oil-based primer? Water based won't fix this problem. Wash the ceiling real good with TSP, and then put on a good, solid, even coat of BIN primer/sealer, or original oil-based Kilz. And quit smoking in the house

And it sure wouldn't hurt to look up in the attic to see whats happening from that side.

Old 11-24-03, 02:18 PM
C
I agree that it looks to be something bleeding through. Go with prowallguy and hit it with a good alkyd primer.

And check the attic to see what might be going on: moisture, and such.

Old 11-25-03, 04:40 AM
B
moisture issue

It does look like it starts where somone cut in and didn't get good coverage.

Follow the others advice and use an oil-based primer.

Since it starts on an outside wall, I'd make sure you don't have a moisture issue there.

Old 11-26-03, 01:03 PM
bozzman2000
Visiting Guest
thanks for your help, someone once told me it might be caused by inadequate insulatiion causing it to bleed during extreme tempature difference in attic and rooms. Like in the summer when its boiling hot in attic but rooms are cooled by A/C. While i was up there I didn`t notice a moisture problem, not that would know exactly what to look for, but i did notice bathroom cieling fan vents directly into attic. Would that be a problem? Attic seems to be well vented but not very well insulated.

Old 11-26-03, 01:27 PM
B
that could be a problem

Yes, venting of the bathroom could be the problem, especially if you have inadequate ventilation of the attic to begin with.