Two coats with semi-gloss

Old 11-24-03, 08:12 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Two coats with semi-gloss

Something I've always wondered about: When painting, say a bathroom, in a latex semi-gloss and you discover that you need more than one coat, do you pros just apply another coat directly to the first coat without any surface prep, or do you go through the trouble of deglossing (via sanding or TSP) the first coat, so that the second coat will stick to the first? If not, why not? How about an alkyd base semi-gloss?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-03, 05:34 AM
Just do a second coat

I've never had a problem just doing a second coat. The second coat will bond to the first coat. I always use a quality latex. Don't know what would happen with paint from a big box or discount house.

Old 11-26-03, 08:10 PM
KeithP
Visiting Guest
Ditto. And, two thin coats are always superior to one single coat. Your depth of color, uniformity of sheen and durability are far and away better.

Old 11-27-03, 09:51 PM
Yeah,that's what I've always done too. But why then, do "they" always want you to degloss paint with TSP or sanding? Does it have something to do with the fact that the paint coat is still fresh, and it makes it stick better for some reason? Why bother ever deglossing semi-gloss paint?

Old 11-27-03, 10:14 PM
Old finishes are considered to be dirty. TSP is a degreaser - cleaner. You cannot paint over dirt. Any surface must be mechanically sound and clean for successful painting.

Deglossing is a preference generally reserved for gloss finishes, although some do it for semi-gloss.

Hope this helps.