Concrete Block painting Q

Old 11-25-03, 06:38 PM
jkepp
Visiting Guest
Question Concrete Block painting Q

Here's my question, and I need a relatively quick answer:

My finished basement has some drywall and some "bare" concrete block. I've already painted the drywall. The block was "painted" by previous owners - not so much painted as spattered with white paint, but pretty densly... (I can take and send a photo if needed)

I'd like to cover a couple of imperfections that have arisen since we moved here 5 years ago: there are a couple of peeling patches on the concrete, which is to be expected due to natural moisture accumulation. Sanding can be (and will be) done to remove the peeling. I'd like to use as little paint as possible (because it's a large room, and I have economy in mind). Has anyone tried the ragging or sponging technique on concrete block with a white-ish background (I have a sage green paint I'd like to use).? And what result was achieved? I don't have a great hidden space to try this out. Any help is appreciated!! Thanks!

I'm open to other successful techniques, too. But I'll need some instruction or resource to check out. Thanks! :^P

Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-03, 06:58 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
This isn't really a 'how-to' type question, but more of a 'how-do-you-think-it-will-look question. It depends on your tastes. If you like a rag or sponge painted look, then go for it.

Old 11-26-03, 07:07 PM
KeithP
Visiting Guest
Good call again from prowall guy...if you put the paint/glaze 'on', a positive technique, and you make a mistake, it's there for good...I'd use a decent quality latex paint and just paint it out...no muss, no fuss, easy to do and a lot faster...how much is your time worth?, especially if a mistake or mess was done when sponging-on?...

Keith

Old 11-27-03, 10:12 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Don't worry about making a mistake with the rag or sponge. Work on a small area at a time and mistakes can be remved and rdeone quickly. But, and here's the beauty of reg/sponge painting, no one can pick out the mistakes because mistakes blend in with the rest of it. Its all abstract so it all looks good.

But, keep in mind that it will only last 5 years tops. Even without a moisture problem, moisture will still get thru the walls. This little moisture dissolve the minerals and brings them to the surface. Over time, this causes the paint to fail. Thats why the old paint is peeling.

Old 12-18-03, 07:00 PM
jkepp
Visiting Guest
Wink

Thanks for the input! In fact, after painting the drywall (we painted two walls solid and tried the sponging method on a small "accent" wall) and giving it a week or so to get used to, we decided that the imperfections on the concrete block can be covered by rearranging the furniture!! Currently, a curio cabinet hides the peeling patch of paint! Since a paint job like this is only temporary (i.e., maximum 5 years) we figured we would save the job for the year before we plan to sell. And then we won't have to worry about it before then. Appreciate the help, and will return to this site for future needs!!!!