Stage Painting advice

Old 11-25-03, 10:55 PM
Trefrog66
Visiting Guest
Stage Painting advice

We are painting the stage at our theater and I need some advice.

The problems we have run into in the past are alot of nicks and skiddish marks. We currently use a Black Flat paint on a wood stage. The life of the paint job usually lasts about 5 monthes before we have to repaint it.

What is a way to prolong the life of the stage? Is it possible to scrap the stage and use a differant material? Is it just something were going to have to live with? We have a limited budget, but a long term solution would be great.

Thanks for all your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-03, 05:30 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The wear and tear on a painted floor is much greater than that on most any other painted surface. Flat paint is not nearly so durable as a semi-gloss paint. Floor and Porch paint is made for use on floors. If your stage floor is just wearing, that is, scrapes, scuffs, and such; not peeling, then your circumstances sound to be just wear. Floor and Porch paint is not much more expensive that semi-gloss trim paint.

If you have not used Floor and Porch paint, using it may last much longer. Clean the existing floor with TSP to remove all dirt, grime, and such. Prime the floor with Zinsser 123, then paint with Floor and Porch paint. There are some long drying requirements, but it should make a difference in the long run. Ordinarily, the manufacturer recommends two coats. In your case, I would recommend a third coat. Be sure to follow the recommended drying and curing times from the label.

Hope this helps.

Old 11-26-03, 10:12 AM
brickeyee
Visiting Guest
Gloss or semi-gloss on a stage floor will be bad news for lighting design. Flat is used to prevent any significant light bounce.
The professional stages I have worked on just continue painting. Krylon flat black spray was purchased by the case for touch-up, sometimes after every performance.
For non-professional theatre buy the mis-mixed paint from a store and have them tint it as black as they can.
Roscoe makes a deep black that has better wear than run of the mill paint.

Old 11-26-03, 01:38 PM
Gloss or semi-gloss on a stage floor will be bad news for lighting design. Flat is used to prevent any significant light bounce.
Thats what I was just gonna say.

Maybe try an oil product, it might wear better than a water based paint.

Old 11-26-03, 06:42 PM
KeithP
Visiting Guest
We have been supplying a major events contractor for years. They really like the low sheen and fast drying time of Moore's exterior black soft gloss. Available in gallons and 5 gallon pails. It's actually 15% oil so is very sticky and adheres and wears well for their stages and speaker systems. Risers can be done out in flat if desired. Just for your information. This client can/will repaint, rebuild as necessary and budget is likely not as big a concern (Stones concerts, the Pope's visit here last year etc...). I'd go this route. Just for your information.

Keith

Last edited by KeithP; 11-27-03 at 07:43 AM.
Old 11-26-03, 11:01 PM
T
Back when I was a scenic painter the BBC supplied us with a black or white self adhesive vinyl to stick to stage floors. I cannot remember ever painting one

Last edited by toptosher; 11-26-03 at 11:24 PM.