paint over tiles

Old 11-26-03, 01:03 PM
lynda roberts
Visiting Guest
paint over tiles

i want to paint over my bathroom tiles but i need to prime them first what primer do i use, and how do i do it .

Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-03, 02:08 PM
floorman
Visiting Guest
hi lynda welcome,i'm going to move this to the paint section and they will help you

Old 11-26-03, 06:20 PM
KeithP
Visiting Guest
Welcome to the forum Lynda...if you mean vertical wall tile, scuff sand with 100-120 grit paper, wash with TSP (trisodiumphosphate), rinse, allow to dry, then prime with either of these bonding primers:

Bullseye 123 by Zinsser
Aqua Lock by Insl-X
Fresh Start by Benjamin Moore
UMA by XIM

Allow 24 hours to dry-bond, then paint.

If this is a floor job, your durability will be reduced. Use a top quality reinforced latex floor paint such as Moore's 122-04 or other color. Please advise if this is in fact a floor job.

Keith

Old 11-26-03, 11:28 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How long does 123 primer take to completley cure?? I can scratch it from a shiny surface 24 hours after application and get nervous about using it for this reason.

Old 11-27-03, 04:56 AM
KeithP
Visiting Guest
You can 'scratch' any primer off an unpainted surface if you try, but why would you? Once painted and both products cured (14 days for most primers other than UMA which is 24 hours), the job will be fine. I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but nobody picks at their paint under normal circumstances, but many people feel the need to 'test' the performance of these types of primers 'just to see', as if it was contact cement or something. Leave it alone a day, paint and don't wash for 30 days.

Keith

Old 11-29-03, 02:59 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Its true...Nobody picks at their paint..However surfaces like doors,tiles etc can be subject to knocks which can cause the paint to chip revealing the original surface.

many people feel the need to 'test' the performance of these types of primers 'just to see',
I primed out a mahogany staircase last week with 123..then undercoated it with an acrylic undercoat..The following day I lightly sanded the surface in preperation for the final gloss finish..
I was a little dissapointed to see that some sections had scratched back to the wood. My customer asked me why as they had paid extra to use the 123 primer..
123 is an American product and not one we are that familiar with..
The instruction label describes the product at being an excellent primer for non porous surfaces such as tiles..varnish,melemine etc. I dont care if it scratches off a day later but I need to be sure that after a week or so it will cure hard enough to protect the final finish.. I want it to do what it says it does..On the tin!!

Last edited by toptosher; 11-29-03 at 03:27 AM.
Old 11-29-03, 02:18 PM
KeithP
Visiting Guest
I haven't found a waterborne primer yet, that I am confident in sanding...they're too soft and gummy...I always prefer an oil...1-2-3 is a marketing name used bigtime in the states, like Kilz (many oil primers equally good or better than this one at a better price)...there are many products worse, but many better too...it's all brand name marketing...I'd use alkyd underbody that could be sanded in 24 hours or more, then topcoat...just an old-school oil man myself.