bathroom paint

Old 12-01-03, 12:55 PM
mighty_alcibie
Visiting Guest
Question bathroom paint

Hi:

First off, I am new here, so hello to everybody...
My guest bathroom currently has wallpaper, which I will remove and then I am planning to paint. What are the prefered type of paints for bathrooms?

Thx,

Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-03, 03:04 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Good choice would be semi-gloss for the walls and trim, and flat for the ceiling. The semi-gloss on the walls will hold up better for cleaning than will flat paint.

On a properly prepared surface, latex or alkyd paints would be about equal.

Hope this helps.

Old 12-06-03, 05:35 AM
R
Also consider "satin" or "eggshell" . Their sheen is slightly duller than semi gloss. Semi will show any imperfections on the walls. Take time to clean and sand the walls after you remove the paper. Any bit of old glue will marr the surface.

Old 12-06-03, 07:24 AM
Any bit of old glue will marr the surface
Yes. And it also will eat right through latex paint so make sure it is completely washed off or sealed in properly.

Old 12-06-03, 12:14 PM
T
That presents a question from me. We have removed the wall paper from a bedroom and old paste is all over the walls. The house is some 35+ years old and who knows when the paper was installed. It looks to be the old paste and install; vice the newer prepasted stuff.

So what is an easy way of getting the paste off. I have tried: warm water, warm water with dish detergent, warm water with paste remover (HD Brand) and was next thinking of using the Stanley wall sander hooked to my shop vac. The wash efforts showed little useful results.

Thanks for any and all replys.

Old 12-06-03, 12:41 PM
R
I used a palm sander on a recent bathroom redo. Medium grit.. prepare for dust. It got 95% of the glue off. Some of the glue seemed imbedded into the plaster.. or at least caused the plaster to texture. Short of skim coating the entire room, that's the best you can do in my novice opinion. The final paint job looks fine, I'm probably the only one that would notice the defects.

Old 12-06-03, 02:58 PM
If the remaining paste is stubborn and just won't come off, you can seal it in with a slow drying alkyd primer. Not, Kilz, it dries to fast to penetrate. Find something comparable to an alkyd enamel underbody.

Old 12-06-03, 03:23 PM
R
How about wallboard primer... I think it's called "PVA"?

Old 12-06-03, 03:56 PM
C
No. PVA is latex.

Old 12-06-03, 07:14 PM
T
Okay, trying not to be anal but what about Kilz oil base? I believe that Kilz has a water base and an oil base. The oil base was how they made their name originally ... I think!

Old 12-06-03, 08:27 PM
Kilz oil base was what I was referring to above. It is a stain blocker, not a sealer per say in this case. It just dries too fast to effectively penetrate the substrate and lock in the residual adhesive. Now if 2 coats were applied, it would probably be fine.