Paint storage during winter?

Old 12-04-03, 01:53 PM
de1052a
Visiting Guest
Paint storage during winter?

Hello,

I have some paint cans (some new, some old) that were stored in freezing temperatures this past winter. Does this harm the paint? If so, is there a rescue strategy?

Thanks
Dick Evans

Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-03, 03:14 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If the paint is latex, there is a good chance its gone bad if it froze for any amount of time. Take them to a paint store and have them shaken. Then pop them open and give it a sniff. Does it smell sour or bad? Try to brush some out. Does it look right? If its clumpy, its done with.

Old 12-05-03, 05:38 AM
B
not worth it

Its generally not worth it unless you are talking many gallons of the same color. Its being penny wise and pound foolish.

1. Quality paint is cheap. Yes, even $25/gallon is a bargain. What else can you buy for $25 that will have such a decorating impact not to mention the protection qualities?

2. The only need to save leftover paint is for small repairs/patches. As the years go by, this is less important.

3. I have lots of cans of leftover paint. Its rare that I ever use them.

Old 12-06-03, 07:21 AM
I have lots of cans of leftover paint. Its rare that I ever use them
I heard that. Seems like every spring I'm cleaning out my shop and wondering where the heck did all this paint come from. Now I generally don't hold on to anything unless its a stock color, ceiling white, or white s/g trim paint etc. that I use most often.