removing wallpaper and painting

Old 12-15-03, 12:18 PM
rfkecu
Visiting Guest
removing wallpaper and painting

I am in the process of removing wallpaper and will later paint the room. My problem is that the previous paint job is peeling off with the wallpaper in some pretty big areas. How do I repair that? What other kind of prep do I need to paint after removing wallpaper?

Thanks!

Old 12-15-03, 03:41 PM
mudder
Visiting Guest
After scraping loose chips. try sanding the areas with 80 grit sand paper to featherout edges of chips. However if you still feel the slightest defects skim the 'holes' with mud, if the area of old paint is very very large skim the mud with a six inch knife along the edge as if it were a crack, sand lightly and prime.

Old 12-16-03, 04:12 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
try to determine the why...

Why is the paint underneath the paper coming off?

Is there a moisture problem?
Are you over-zealous with the scraper? steamer?
Poor prep when the wall was painted?

Did you do the decorating or buy the house that way? If you did it, perhaps you can shed some light on the history.

Old 12-16-03, 06:09 PM
rfkecu
Visiting Guest
determining why???

I'm not sure why the paint is peeling off. I am a new homeowner but this house was built in the late 80's. I believe this wallpaper is fairly new...it is coming off pretty easily...just taking lots of paint with it. I do not believe the walls were prepped prior to hanging the wallpaper. I have removed wallpaper in other rooms of the house and it came off pretty easily. I am using warm water and wall paper stripper but I don't believe I am being over zealous with it. Just spraying it on and waiting 20 minutes to peel if off. Who knows!

Old 12-17-03, 08:38 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
this house was built in the late 80's.
This time is notorious for building houses as fast as possible. The GC probably used bottom line primer on the drywall or most likely none at all.

I would suggest removing all the paper, scrape/remove all the peeling areas, then prime it with an oil based primer to lock down the surface and creating a new stable surface to paint/paper on.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: