painting new house

Old 12-18-03, 06:13 PM
jamboogie
Visiting Guest
Question painting new house

I'm painting my new house, approximately 3400 sf total with 2400 sf living area. What is the best internal primer for the sheetrock, and the best external for the stucco? Also, my plans are to use Home Depot's Behr Paint on the interior and Benjamin Moore on the exterior. Is Behr a good quality paint?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-03, 07:06 PM
sharvel
Visiting Guest
I use Sherwin Williams myself.......I've pretty much used just about every brand out there! I have to stick my 2 cents on Benny Moore here....I wouldn't recommend it for anything! Seriously no body.....have to usually 2 coat and most likely 3 coat if using a dark pigment base! Painters want a product that is going to last and make their job easier....I can honestly say with my experience BM it didn't make the cut! Ok enough bashing....sorry but I hate that stuff and most people are unaware and paying for a name not a good product. For your sheetrock use behr's interior
latex primer/sealer......don't cut yourself cheap buy the best otherwise you'll be applying more coats.....technically not saving money and especially time! Behr's not a bad product.....your average paint. If you have access to a SW I'd recommend you getting preprite for your primer and coat with either casmere or superpaint. For your exterior go with Duration......great stuff and you'll get some milage for your exterior.

Old 12-18-03, 07:10 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I would say Loxon Masonry primer by Sherwin-Williams. Excellent for Stucco. For inside Sheetrock use a PVA primer any major brand Ben Moore , SW etc. As for Behr that point is arguable , I found it to be thinner and splatters more , you will find many guys here never use it . Its popular cuz its cheaper and well advertised. I prefer SW ProMar 200 or superpaint,

Old 12-18-03, 07:21 PM
P
I agree with you Sharvel on the Duration. Its not cheap and spreads thick but I think its hands down the best exterior paint

Old 12-19-03, 04:44 AM
sharvel
Visiting Guest
There is also a product called Thorocoat for stucco & concrete surfaces . It comes in different textures and is some pretty thick stuff! You get 50 sq ft to a gal compared to 300-400 with normal latex. Comes in 5 gal pails and would run you about 120.00 per pail. Keep in mind that pail will only cover 250 sq so this is a bit costly but for your climate and surface it may be the way to go.

Old 12-19-03, 06:14 AM
jamboogie
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the feedback. It's a good thing I asked your advice because I was told that Benjamin Moore makes the best exterior paint! Thorocoat seems a little pricey for my budget and I may need to go with Duration. Is Duration a Sherwin Williams product and is it an exterior primer or exterior coat paint? If it is an exterior coat paint then I could use the SW Loxon Masonary primer on the Stucco.

On the interior I will go Behr all the way, with Behr interior latex primer/ sealer and the Behr coat paint. You did recommend the prime/sealer for the sheetrock, but can I also use the same primer/sealer on the internal trim work?

Old 12-19-03, 01:30 PM
P
THe LOxon you will be very satisfied with. The Duration isPaint but it also has the Primer in it as well so it will serve both purposes. So no need to prime if you use Duration. It is costly as well . If its not in your budget go with the Superpaint. Dont use a PVA Primer on the wood trim thats only for new Drywall. For your trim use Zinsser BIN primer.

Old 12-19-03, 01:32 PM
P
Cool

and yes Duration is a SW product. Good luck

Old 12-19-03, 07:37 PM
sharvel
Visiting Guest
Thorocoat is costly but very effective .......downfall is it's tricky to work with........you gotta move fast! Go with SW loxon primer mentioned and topcoat with either Duration or superpaint. If you were to use Duration without a primer it would take 2 coats costing you close to what the thorocoat would run! Keep in mind you get less coverage out of duration....250 sq.ft a gal. I'm not a big fan of self priming paint either.......I believe a dedicated primer and topcoat are better than 1 combined paint.My point being use the Duration as a topcoat not a primer.......gosh that would be costly primer! You can get away with 1 coat of the duration with the loxon underneath. With the superpaint you should use 2 coats with the loxon underneath. Duration is truly a 1 coat finish........7 mils. of build with 1 coat vs. 4mils with average paint.Duration has a lifetime warranty not that I'm a believer of most paints warranty policies......however I don't know of any other paint company that carries a lifetime warranty on their paint. Will it last the lifetime of your house??.......doubtful but I'll garuantee it will out last the others! What's nice when it does fail call up SW and get yourself some free paint. That's my big selling point when I bid a job.......I'll give the customer a few options and explain the ins and outs.........9 out of 10 get the better paint. This is the biggest thing people overlook with paint......always trying to save a nickel when it cost them dollars in the long run! Here in Western Ny 5 yrs. out of exterior paint job is a good stretch.....duration ensures that for me and that's why I use it and recommend it! Loxon primer will run 20.00 a gal., superpaint is 22-25 a gal & duration runs around 37.00.
For your interior use a GOOD latex primer/sealer......I use preprite.....for new drywall ...1 coat of primer,2 topcoats of superpaint or cahmere. For a repaint usuall 1 topcoat over the primer does it. I personally like an oil primer for my new wood.....bins is good stuff and I use it for trouble areas time to time but it's a brush killer since it's alcohol based. Hope I was helpful....my main point here all in all is don't cut yourself cheap with paint!

Old 12-20-03, 06:25 AM
my main point here all in all is don't cut yourself cheap with paint!
Right on!

Old 12-23-03, 06:02 AM
jamboogie
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the pros and cons in your recommendations. I think I'll combine the feedback from both Sharvel and PBTroy and arrive at a compromised solution.

For the exterior I will go with Luxon Masonary Primer, with a single coat of Duration, even though the Duration has primer in it. Oh! I've checked the prices with Sherwin Williams and these products are pretty pricey, but I'll use it never the less.

On the inside, I'll use the Behr Interior Latex/Primer on the sheetrock and an Oil base primer on the new wood trim. To finish off with 2 coats of Behr's Premium Interior paint. (Have already purchased the Behr, so I'm stuck with it.)

Thanks. And Happy Holidays

Old 12-23-03, 08:39 PM
sharvel
Visiting Guest
Phew!....happy your not cutting yourself short with cheap paint. Trust me it will save you time in application as well as money in the long run. There's pricier stuff out there than SW......and I use it whenever I can. it's just tuff talking customers into anything over 25.00 a gal. You can obviously see how it can add up....say 500.00 in materials going to 1000.00. I have to be careful how I bid my jobs otherwise I scare em off with price .....this is where SW provides a happy medium......my opinion pretty good bang for the buck.

Merry X-mas!