Quick prep question re: filling small cracks

Old 12-23-03, 03:11 PM
kdkrone
Visiting Guest
Quick prep question re: filling small cracks

We have just had a frame mounted to the wall for a three-sided mirror in a 42" space, so the ends of each side of the frame are apparent. I would like to fill the seams along the 6' sides so that there is no gap--at most any gap is less than a millimeter.

What is a good material to use (putty? spackling compound? Caulk?), which brand, and what kind of tool can be used to fill such small cracks without leaving residue on the wall or frame?

Thanks
Ken K

Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-03, 08:21 PM
sharvel
Visiting Guest
3 sided mirror??? Hard to visulize what you have goin there. I assume the frame is butted up against drywall? Regardless of what you use wether it's putty,spackle or chaulk.....some of this residue will have to touch both the wall and the frame.....that's what fills the void. I think what your driving at here is what will do a neat job. I would use latex chaulk.....you can a good clean job with the right amount applied and damp finger. You could also try "onetime"....a light weight spackle. I love to use this for nail holes for my interior. I'd use my finger to apply this. Keep a damp rag on hand to wipe off the access after filling.

Old 12-23-03, 10:43 PM
kdkrone
Visiting Guest
Sharvel,

Thanks for your reply. The mirror is the kind in a clothing store where the side mirrors are at about 120 degrees to the back mirror.

I will look for some "onetime". Sounds not too difficult. Push it in with a finger and wipe it off.

Thanks
Ken

Old 12-24-03, 07:48 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
For a tiny crack such as the one you describe, I would use latex caulk. Force it in the crack, and wipe off excess immediately with a damp rag or a sponge.