priming drywall

Old 12-23-03, 06:02 PM
Mom2Z
Visiting Guest
priming drywall

Is there a minimum amount of time I need to wait to prime/paint my new drywall or is it good to go as soon as the mud is dried and sanded?
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-03, 07:49 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You can prime as soon as the compound is dry, sanded, AND vacuumed off. If you don't vacuum, you'll make an awful mess with your paint.

Old 12-23-03, 07:58 PM
sharvel
Visiting Guest
If the mud is dry and your able to sand it without it gooping up your mesh,sand paper then go to it! Remove any chalk lines and drywall dust .....I'll use a slightly dampened rag for a lot of dust or dry for minimal.......this is your call here. Once you tackled that your ready for primer. Use a quality primer not your bargin 5 gal pail for 19.99! A good primer will provide a good tooth for your top coat to follow and provide better hide.......simply put less coats of paint.

Old 12-26-03, 08:50 AM
glyndwr
Visiting Guest
You could also wash the walls with TSP (tri-sodium phosphate). We did this with success (after vacuuming the worst bits).

In the bathroom, and on the cielings/walls where I knew pipe was running through, I used the top-line Kilz. 2 coats, too. Just in case.

Old 12-26-03, 08:57 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You really don't want to wet the joint compound much as if you were washing, just a damp cloth for the dust.

Old 12-26-03, 08:59 AM
glyndwr
Visiting Guest
Exactly. Just get the rag/sponge damp and wipe off.