painting interior this weekend (hopefully). need some advice.

Old 12-30-03, 02:05 PM
MKIII91t
Visiting Guest
painting interior this weekend (hopefully). need some advice.

i've been in my house for about 6mos now. the walls have a Monterrey finish, and are white from the builder.

My basic question is do i have to prime the walls, or can i just paint over them? if so, how many coats are recommended? enough to not see the white underneath (common sense)?

on a side note, i bought a Campbell Hausfeld latex spray gun kit (a while ago) to do the job. but after doing a little searching i'm a little discouraged. i don't have the experience using such equipment (which could result in a poor job, and a big mess), and i don't want to spend all day taping a masking.

Old 12-30-03, 02:34 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If the walls are clean and sound, you can paint over the paint, especially if it is only 6 months old. If you plan to make a big change in color, using a primer tinted toward the final color can help with the transition. Primer is cheaper than paint. Two coats are more durable than one. One coat over primer similarly so.

Top quality tools and materials make for better results.

Indoors is not such a good place to learn to spray. It can be messy and there is a lot preparation and clean up involved.

If you take your new gun and practice on a sheet of plywood outdoors you can get a feel for how to use it. I rarely use a sprayer indoors unless it is for cabinets or crown molding. It is less work to use a roller and cut in with a sash brush.

Hope this helps.

Old 12-30-03, 06:53 PM
B
is this a brand new house?

You say the walls are white from the builder. Does this mean this is a brand new house (not just "new" to you)? If so, and it is indeed builders paint, count on two coats of paint. The first coat will soak into the walls. For true cleanability, you will need two good top coats.

Old 12-31-03, 06:47 AM
MKIII91t
Visiting Guest
yes, the house is new. thanks for the info guys. i see you guys answer the same questions over and over. sorry, but i'm new to all of this. any recommendations of paint cause i don't want to just buy a pretty name.

Old 12-31-03, 08:04 AM
B
go to a paint store

Get your paint from a paint store, not a discount house or a big box.
Use quality tools. A $12-20 brush is well worth the money. Get the tools made for the type of paint you are using, ie) if using latex paint, buy tools for latex paint. Clean after each use and they will last a long time.
Invest in a couple of good drop cloths.

Count on two coats. Builders paint is very thin.

Old 01-05-04, 03:00 PM
MKIII91t
Visiting Guest
another question, how long does it take for each coat to dry. for instance, if i do a layer of primer how long should i wait to put another coat on? 12hrs? 24hrs? thanks for any advice guys.

we already did one coat of mustard in the kitchen, and we're not happy with the color. now she wants to go to a lighter color, so we have to prime it then paint the lighter color. does that sound about right?

Old 01-05-04, 10:13 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
12 hours should plenty of time for a coat to dry.

If the kitchen was already primed, its not necessary to do it again for a different color, unless its a drastic color change and doing a prime coat would save money on the finsh paint.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: