to do it by spray gun again.

If so, what brand of spray gun you recommand? How about
"Campbell Hausfeld"?

Thanks.

Acton

Old 12-31-03, 03:43 AM
mudder
Visiting Guest
what are you staining, baseboard? a deck? after brushing did you wipe with a cloth as this smooths out the application.

Old 12-31-03, 07:46 AM
actonwang
Visiting Guest
I am paining cabinet. Basically strip the old paint and cover with
new paint.

If I want to do it by spray, what kind of spary gun should I get?

Thanks.

Interesting thing is: I picked some painting books for wood
painting, rarely they mentioned wipeoff for smooth. So I didn't
do wipe off and left a bad result.

Old 01-01-04, 09:29 AM
sharvel
Visiting Guest
Your best bet is to wipe the stain on with a rag. If your getting blocthes it's possible you have contamination. This could be the old finish itself not removed or the stripping residue left behind. Try cleaning the wood with some naphta. Also try some wood conditioner to help you with uniformity before you stain. I wouldn't recommend a sprayer for this since you could easily get the same problem! ......consider over spray,drips,sags....light,heavy spots where you'd have to wipe it out anyway. Spraying is an excellent form of staining however it requires skill which naturally comes with practice! If I was spraying cabinets I would use a compressor & a binks door jam gun. For larger areas.....primarily exterior.....fences & decks I'll use either my smaller titan airless or my larger graco. Not to bash cambell and hausfield here cuz they do make some good products however their airless sprayers are not to desired in the field.

Old 01-01-04, 10:10 AM
actonwang
Visiting Guest
thanks for your reply: You sure have a lot of experience about it.

what is compressor & a binks door jam gun? expenseive one?

I looked at some spary guns yesterday. I saw some parameter
like 1800psi,2000psi something. Seems like higher psi , more
expensive. How should I choose on it?

other things, did you say that spray gun is not good in the field?

for laquar painting, do you prefer it over stain paint? I think
for cabinet, the normal stain would be a good choice.

Thanks.

Old 01-01-04, 11:26 AM
sharvel
Visiting Guest
A compressor is a separate air unit.....multiple uses for connecting air tools (paint gun,sander,blow gun,tire inflater,nail gun....etc etc etc. The list goes on and on for the uses a compressor can provide.....you choose the tools you want. This may be more finiancially feesable over a dedicated airless sprayer. Airless have their place but they are designed to spit some product fast. I primarly use my airless for exterior surfaces and I'll only use it for priming new drywall for interior. You will not get the fine atomization from an airless compared to a compressor & gun. example: you won't see automotive painter using a airless sprayer to shoot a car! .....or vice versa here you won't see a painter using a compressor and jam gun to paint a exterior house! So that being the case I'd use the compressor & jam gun for smaller jobs which require a factory finish. Very critical here.........bottom line is spraying requires experience regardless of what spray system your operating.....you can make a mess fast! What stain are you exactly trying to apply here is my burning question?....it is a latex stain/paint?....that without a doubt will cause a problem with wiping. If it's a oil stain you shoudn't have a problem wiping it. Now to throw you another loop..... If your using a thicker latex stain a compressor and jam gun won't do. They are designed for oils,lacquers and polys where they need to be thinned down to spray... operating on 30-40 PSI.This is where you get a finer spray pattern and better atomization. You could get find a larger tip for your gun for latex however a HVLP(high volume low pressure)is the top choice for water based products. Now you don't use one of these either for a larger job!.....that's for your 1800-3500 psi airless units. So my key points here are.....compressor & jam/production gun for small jobs providing I'm using an oil,laquer or poly. Airless units are for big jobs and I primarily use thick bodied latex. The more more PSI you have with an airless the more flexibility it will provide with material choice. Ex: your 1800PSI wouldn't spit a thick bodied latex too well....so that's where the extra expense is when buying a airless. Keep in mind a cheap airless rated at 3000 max psi won't compare to a good sprayer with the same psi rating! I'll stress this again....you'll need some experience spraying before diving in. Consider the expenses of the systems I mentioned above ......how much will you use the other units and what can you use them on? You may want to consider your stain product your using and wipe it on! This is easy to do without spending a ton of $$$.

Old 01-01-04, 05:17 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
bottom line is spraying requires experience regardless of what spray system your operating.....you can make a mess fast!
Right on.

I agree with the above 100%.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: