painting a vaulted ceiling

Old 12-31-03, 11:07 AM
MAJESTYE
Visiting Guest
Question painting a vaulted ceiling

I have a ceiling that's vaulted on one side. The room is 10x13 and I am wondering if I should square off the room at the lowest wall(7'3.5") using crown molding. Below the molding I would use a faux finish and above(4'2.5") just use one color. Would that look weird, making the room look boxy or add style to the room?

The house is six months old (new from the builder) and has flat white paint. I have bought 2 gallons of paint (each a different color, for the faux finish) will that be enough?

btw: I have this problem with two rooms, one at each end of the house.

Old 01-01-04, 10:53 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
This is a huge personal opinion issue.

I have 'squared off' a room in the style you describe with a paper border before, and my opinion is that looked goofy. Once again, that is just MHO. I seem to recall the few times I've done this, it was from Decorators specs. So maybe they have an eye for something I don't.

As for the gallons of paint, it sounds like enough, but it would depend on the colors and the porosity of the builders paint.

And I will add that I have seen numerous failures regarding paper and paint due to CHEAP BUILDERS FLAT PAINT.
I would most certainly give the WHOLE room a coat of good paint before doing anything else.

Old 01-05-04, 12:11 PM
MAJESTYE
Visiting Guest
Thanks,

I started painting this weekend and ended up painting the room three times! Too light the first time, too dark the second time and now the third time....still not sure if I like it. I had to faux finish the walls all the way to the ceiling. Very tricky taping and painting that one! I lightened the bottom half...but just not sure...I'm thinking one color is enough! Thanks for the help!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: