Painting Preparation

Old 01-02-04, 05:13 PM
mnmedaris
Visiting Guest
Painting Preparation

I want to remove the texturing from my ceiling before I repaint my house. I'm not sure exactly what it's called, but it looks like there are little bits stuck to the ceiling. What is the best way to remove it and what would I have to do before I repaint?

Old 01-02-04, 05:19 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
First off, determine the age of the home and make sure the texture doesn't contain asbestos.

This is going to be a mess, so make sure to cover EVERYTHING. Floors with dropcloths, furniture with plastic, etc. Its easier if everything is out of the room.

Use a garden type pump sprayer. Fill with water, lightly spray the ceiling. Use a stiff 6", or 10" putty knife and scrape it off.

This might come off smooth and ready to prime, or it might require smoothing out with joint compound, depending on how it was applied.

After its off, and the ceiling is smooth, prime it and paint.

Old 01-03-04, 05:06 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
be prepared for a BIG mess!!

Let me reiterate what prowall said - it will be a big mess. Way more than you think. Add to that, it is hard working overhead.
The sheetrock should have been taped and mudded already but, and its a big but, the joints will not be ready for priming and painting. So count on doing sanding and re-mudding and more sanding to get it smooth.

Then you are ready to prime and paint.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: