New drywall

Old 01-05-04, 01:10 PM
daleg
Visiting Guest
New drywall

I am preparing to prime fresh drywall in my newly renovated basement. I have planned on using a Sheetrock Brand Product called "First Coat" that is supposed to prevent joint banding and photographing on the finished wall. I am planning on using a very light shaded egg shell finish (Dutch Boy Dura Clean) that I know will hide many flaws in itself, but I feel the more hide the better being that I am a novice drywaller.
I have incorporated a breathing wall in my design and need to keep the walls semi permiable(sp) so I feel the less sealer in the wall the better. But my question is will I have an issue with too much absorbtion with the egg shell paint? I Have three gallons to cover approx. 750 sq. ft. that I know under normal conditions would be more than enough.

Old 01-05-04, 01:26 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I am unfamiliar with the term: breathing wall.

Prime and paint the wall as usual. Primer generally covers 400sf per gallon, the same as paint. Use full coats to provide proper coverage. Using a thin coat of primer won't make the wall more or less permeable than otherwise when painted. A wall with primer and finish paint has a rating of around 1.

Walls painted with latex are about as permeable as it gets.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-07-04, 04:22 PM
A
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I recently had a problem with newly textured drywall where I had some of the freshly applied paint release from the ceiling.

I later realized what happened is after priming, I waited only 1 day until applying the next coat of paint. Apparantly the texture had absorbed moisture from the primer and when the primer dried, the moisture was trapped to some extent in the texture. When the weight of 3 coats became too much, a bubble appeared in one area.

Does my explanation make sense?
How long should one wait after priming newly textured drywall?

Now I have an area on my ceiling where there is no paint and there are 3 coats of paint around the hole. I need to feather this edge before I repaint. Should I just do this with sandpaper? The salesman told me to use wet sandpaper but I'm not sure what he meant.

Last edited by AlexH; 01-07-04 at 05:14 PM.
Old 01-07-04, 05:57 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I'm doubtful 3 coats of paint will be able to be sanded down flush. I would scuff the edge a little, make sure it won't peel any further, smooth the edges with joint compound, spot prime that area, and then repaint.

I later realized what happened is after priming, I waited only 1 day until applying the next coat of paint. Apparantly the texture had absorbed moisture from the primer and when the primer dried, the moisture was trapped to some extent in the texture. When the weight of 3 coats became too much, a bubble appeared in one area.
This is doubtful also. It sounds to me that the paint failure was due to dust on the surface before painting, and the first coat never adhered properly in that spot. Maybe a spot that didn't get dusted off. If it was moisture in the texture from the primer, (1 day should be plenty of dry time), then I assume the whole ceiling would be failing at this time too.

Old 01-08-04, 04:32 AM
B
what texture?

There are many types of "textured drywall". Please be more specific.

Did the bubble go down to the primer or all the way to the drywall?

What brand of primer and what brand of paint?

Old 01-08-04, 08:43 AM
A
I ahd removed some difficult wallpaper in that room and had to have a drywall guy come in and repair/re-texture the walls. I guess he also sprayed the ceiling.

The primer is BM Fresh Start and the paint is alos BM flat.

The primer and 2 coats of paint all released from the ceiling. All were still highly flexible - the primer had been applied the day before. When I touched the underlying texture, it seemed moist.

Old 01-08-04, 09:03 AM
B
more questions

What texture? Swirls, popcorn, orange peel, flat?

What was sprayed?

If the wallpaper was on the walls, why did the drywaller do anything to the ceiling?

How long after the drywaller was done did you prime? The next day, several days, a week?

What is above this room?

Old 01-08-04, 11:11 AM
A
Texture was sprayed, I don't know what they call it but it's the most common type using drywall mud from a gun.

I think the drywaller sprayed the ceiling because it may have been too difficult to mask it off/avoid it. The texture was done over a month ago. This is a upstairs room.

Old 01-08-04, 02:05 PM
Sounds like popcorn? you don't paint that stuff. Did the texture fall off? I bet it did. you better get the guy back to re spray the area. Live and learn.

Old 01-08-04, 06:29 PM
A
I think we are getting off track here. He sprayed a drywall mud mixture to match what was already there and it also matches the rest of the house which is all painted. He told me to primer it before painting. The guy has like 20 years experience. Like prowall said, there was some dust or something that prevented the paint from adhering. The rest of the ceiling/walls are fine.

Thanks

Old 01-09-04, 04:49 AM
B
moisture concerns me,,,,

While it may have been dust, the moisture concerns me. I don't think the moisture is from the primer, unless the primer had sat for a while and was not properly stirred before use.

Old 01-11-04, 12:07 PM
A
Ok guys I figured out what happened and I'm not sure what to do next (sorry for hijacking this thread).

I removed the loose paint which is confined to small area and I noticed that the wallboard/texture in the area that now has no paint is very powdery like it didn't have enough water in it when applied. When I rub it lightly with my hand, my skin is covered with powder. My first inclination is to spray it with one of those shellac sprays to seal it but i would like to get some advice.

Thanks

PS. It is a orange peel texture, I wasn't sure of the terminology before.

Old 01-11-04, 01:37 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
the area that now has no paint is very powdery like it didn't have enough water in it when applied. When I rub it lightly with my hand, my skin is covered with powder.
Sounds like drywall dust to me.

Sponge it off, spray it with whatever primer/sealer in a can you have, then proceed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: