Roller Shedding

Old 01-07-04, 03:38 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Roller Shedding

Hi,

I have painted a couple of rooms now with Ben Moore eggshell and I have noticed when I apply the second coat, there are some fibers/paint that stick out of the paint from the first coat. The first room I did I barely noticed this but the second has quite a few (like 10 per sq ft). I attempted to "disect" a few of these and in all cases found a fiber inside the paint that is sticking up. I always use new Corona rollers and I thought these are very high quality. I suppose it's possible that these are carpet fibers since this second room is carpeted and the first was not (second room has many more of these fibers). The carpet was completely covered with plastic at the baseboard and tarp in the center. The tarp is brand new (never washed). Also, the carpet was installed recently and has only been vacuumed a few times.

Is it more likely that these fibers are coming from the carpet?
It's not a real big deal as the second coat tends to trap most of them but I'd still like to reduce these. Especially after the first coat, you can feel pieces of paint sticking up as you run your hand over the wall.

Thanks

Old 01-07-04, 05:46 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
No, I doubt it is the carpet. My dollar is on the fibers coming off the roller sleeve. Coronas are good, but even the best covers need to be 'shedded' with tape before use.

Put the roller sleeve on the frame, put the frame between your legs or knees. Pull off a piece of masking tape about 2' long. Holding the tape in both hands, run it back and forth over the sleeve to pick up loose fibers or dirt/dust/etc. off the roller before dipping it in the paint.

And I always pole sand the walls before each and every coat. Use a sanding pole with a sanding screen . Unlike sandpaper, the screen will just knock off the tips, points, highspots, hairs etc. off the surface without scuffing up the finish.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: