Painting hinges

Old 01-14-04, 02:55 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Painting hinges

I recently purchased a 40+ year old house am working on painting the kitchen cabinets white to get me by for a few years until I can afford to remodel the kitchen. I have the doors off the cabinets and working on sanding and priming to prepare for painting. I went out and priced new hinges and it would be over $100 to replace them since I have about 25 doors. I probably know the answer, but is there a way I can successfully paint the hinges to reuse? The outside half of the hinge is exposed so it will show. Any money saved on this could easily be used elswhere on this house.

By the way I really enjoy this site. This house is a fixer upper and I have a ton of questions on how to properly do things to get this house repaired.

Thank You.

Old 01-14-04, 04:38 PM
construction hand
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
if it was me

Let me say this..... if i was in your situation i would lightly sand them and paint it with either gold or black paint depending on the color of the cabinets. That my opinion.

Old 01-14-04, 04:48 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
That is a good call. Prep them by cleaning, sanding, etc. and spray paint them.

Or buy a gallon of paint stripper, drop them in. When clean, shine up with Brasso or something similar.

Old 01-15-04, 08:18 AM
phillyguy
Visiting Guest
I have 2 sets of french doors in my kitchen and I just recently painted the hinges on them. I took off the crud on them with a dremel tool and a wire brush attachment and painted them carefully with a very small brush. Removing the hinges and painting them wasn't an option for me as one set of doors leads outside and its like 3 degrees here. But since you already have the cabinets apart spray painting seems like the way to go.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: