Help with pealing paint problem

Old 01-23-04, 02:27 PM
Garrett77
Visiting Guest
Question Help with pealing paint problem

My wife and I recently bought our first home. One of the first things we had done to the house was to have a ceiling company come scrape off the acoustic texture and apply a smooth texture to all of the ceilings. During the process they taped up plastic covers over the walls and when they removed the tape from the walls it took the old paint with it. So now we have several horizontal lines and spots of missing paint along our walls. Not a huge problem as we had planned to repaint the entire house from the get go. My question is what is the proper way to go about repairing these pealed sections before we start repainting? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-04, 02:41 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
First off, the contractor that did the ceilings is liable for the damage, and should fix it unless noted in the contract that 'no liability for damage to be incurred' type wording.

Lighly sand the areas, prime them with Zinsser's Gardz.

Spackle them with lightweight spackle or joint compound if larger than 6" X 6".

When smooth and sanded, prime again with Gardz.

Then touch up spots with paint (hopefuully the previous owner left some t/u paint).

Old 01-23-04, 03:34 PM
Garrett77
Visiting Guest
Thank you for such a quick response Prowallguy!

Yes I did sign a release for paint damage due to the masking tape. So I have no recourse there. I am not terribly upset since my wife and I had planned to prime and repaint all the walls anyway. My primary concern was doing it right the first time.

Thanks for the tips. I am new to the home improvement club but I am ready and willing to learn. In time I hope to be able to contribute to these forums.