painting walls that continue to next room

Old 01-24-04, 08:43 AM
mlewis
Visiting Guest
Question painting walls that continue to next room

My husband and I finally agreed on a color to paint our kitchen. We have chosen a forest green type color with a bluish tint. We have also decided to paint our dark cabinets white. The problem is that there is no real separation of the walls between our kitchen/dining room and our living room. I was thinking that I could put up a piece of trim board and paint that white where the green will end and the cream color of our living room wil begin. Please help me figure out what to do. I really want to make this change to our kitchen but I can't until I decide what to do to the wall.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-04, 07:01 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi! thanks for your question!

(Now let the begging begin!): Please, please, please don't put up a vertical piece of trim for no other reason than to have a place to stop a paint color! just paint that entire wall the green color, all the way into the living room. if your living room can't handle having the green color in it, on just one wall, then you shouldn't be painting your kitchen & dining room that color in the first place. all the colors in those 3 rooms should flow together and coordinate.

if you haven't already purchased the paint, then take the time to really think this through. there must be some color that would work for all 3 rooms (maybe just lightening the color would work). but putting up a piece of trim isn't the answer. this is, of course, my own opinion, but: i believe it'll look tacky & makeshift. it just shouldn't be done. not for painting and not for wallpaper. it's just not the answer. (i've seen it done, and please believe me, i know whereof i speak!)

plus, you've obviously got one really long wall that runs the distance of 2 or 3 rooms, so you've got a pretty open floorplan, which helps your home seem big and spacious. don't do the nice floorplan a disservice by chopping up the rooms like you're suggesting. it'll just make your home seem smaller. by painting the entire wall the same color, you'll be working WITH the open floorplan, and not against it.

so.........will the green work on one wall of your living room?

if not, is there another color that WOULD work in all 3 rooms?