Using darker colored paint

Old 02-05-04, 06:50 AM
Jen
Visiting Guest
Using darker colored paint

I am painting a remodeled bath and vanity in a sueded technnique using Valspar paint from Loews. Primered the walls first and the lighter colored walls look fine.
The accent color is a terra cotta (dark orange) color. Having trouble cutting in and touching up. Am a veteran of faux finishes, but this one has me stumped. Rolled on the first coat, followed by the brush "W" pattern second coat. Wasn't happy, so rolled over it. Every little difference that is not the "roll-on" immediately shows up and I am going crazy. Any suggestions?
Have rolled it and am now thinking about brushing the next coat in the proverbial w pattern again.
These are two lousy walls to finish. Help!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-04, 01:02 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Try using masking paper around all the edges so you can use your roller sideways, really butting up into the corners to avoid the overlaps.

Old 02-06-04, 04:17 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Red is very difficult to get looking good, the darker the more difficult. The reason is there is a lot of pigment and its hard to get that pigment evenly distributed.

The task is made more difficult by using certain brands of paint and using cheap tools. You get what you pay for.

You probably will need a couple more coats. Use quality tools. Keep a wet edge. Don't roll it or brush it out too much.

IHMO the "W" advice is mis-used by h/o's. Its worse when using a dark color, especially a red or green, because the pigment is not evenly distributed.