Painting with dark colors

Old 02-05-04, 04:57 PM
laurawho7
Visiting Guest
Painting with dark colors

Help!

I decided to paint my small bathroom with a dark color. I've primed the dry wall with a grey tinted primer and applied 2 coats now and it looks terrible! You can see all kinds of streeking and paint drips. It's not as uniformed as a I tried to make it!

Can someone tell me how to fix this or should I prime it again and paint with a lighter color? What do the pro's do to make it look so uniform?

Thanks,
Laura

Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-04, 09:34 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You can see all kinds of streeking and paint drips. It's not as uniformed as a I tried to make it!
No offense, but it sounds more like operator problems than the dark color causing it.

Try using a smaller nap on the roller, 3/8" or 1/2", put on a thin coat.

I painted a dark green once, made by a paint company whos name rhymes with dare, and it was such junk no matter how hard we tried to make it look good, it just ran down the walls and flashed at the cut in.

Hope you are using good paint.

Old 02-06-04, 04:11 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Red is very difficult to get looking good, the darker the more difficult. The reason is there is a lot of pigment and its hard to get that pigment evenly distributed.

The task is made more difficult by using certain brands of paint and using cheap tools. You get what you pay for.

You probably will need a couple more coats. Use quality tools. Keep a wet edge. Don't roll it or brush it out too much.

The paint drips have nothing to do with color.