Favorite brands of paint??

Old 02-06-04, 08:20 AM
amm419
Visiting Guest
Favorite brands of paint??

I'm curious as to which brands of paint you consider to be better? I'm completely new to home ownership and painting & have only just completed painting my first room. I used a Behr Satin and was pleased with it but admittedly, I had no clue as to which brands were better, what to look for, or how to choose--and nothing to compare my results to. I selected Behr to do my kitchen only after reading various articles that it was considered one of the better ones. I'm wondering what do you all think?

Any particular ones to avoid? Any ones you really like & recommend? This will help me out when deciding what to use in my next project.

Thanks much!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-04, 04:26 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Brands of paint is a personal opinion, being used to working with what you are comfortable with.

You usually can't go wrong with national names. I like Benjamin Moore, Porter, Sherwin Williams, Muralo, Colony, Pittsburgh, among others. I have used and liked Sears top line Easy Livin' paint too.

I find different brands are preferred for different applications, whether it be interior, exterior, primers, oils, latex, etc.

And BTW, the only one I try to avoid is the one you have already used.

Old 02-06-04, 06:34 PM
I've used Sears Easy Living, Behr, Kelly-Moore and Sherwin Williams with good results. I have a painter buddy who won't use anything but Kelly-Moore.

Stick to name brands and you'll be fine. The real secret to a good paint job is the right tools (buy good paint brushes and rollers) and obssesive preparation. Laying on the paint is almost anti-climatic.

Old 02-07-04, 01:02 PM
B
IMHO

Buy your paint from a paint store, not a big box or a discount house. Most of the problems we answer involve a paint from a big box or discount house. Yes, you can get ok, perhaps even good, results from time to time. But consistancy seems to be a problem. A well known consumer mag had one of those brands at the top of its list one year and at the bottom the next.

Saving a few dollars just isn't worth it!

And as was said - buy top quality tools. It makes painting so much easier and gives you a better job. Wash them out when done and they will last many, many jobs.