Trimming and painting my living room..need ideas...

Old 02-10-04, 11:47 AM
joshigh
Visiting Guest
Trimming and painting my living room..need ideas...

Hi, I'm new here. I discovered this site out of frustration. I've been in my house for about a year and a half, and I'm starting to get into redoing it to the way I want it. I'm working on my living room area, and I'm having a hard time figuring out what I want to do with my trim. I have three long solid pine beams running the length of the space, with 1/4 round trim stained to match, where the beam meets the ceiling. I'm thinking of painting this trim white, leaving the beams stained. I'm having crown molding installed around the rest of the room where the beams are not involved. I also have a large wall of sliders and glass framed with wood, and no drywall. This is all trimmed with 1/4 round as well. The floors are going to be stained to a natural light oak, so I'm going with white trim to avoid too much clashing and 'over woodiness'. I taped off one beam, so I could paint the existing 1/4 round, but I'm not happy with the results. The paint doesn't look all that great on the stained wood, I think I'm going to have to buy fresh 1/4 round and paint it to replace the old trim that is there. Basically, I'm looking for ideas. Can anyone help? Thanks for looking!

Here are a few pics of the room.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-04, 02:22 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
are your doors & baseboards stained or painted?

and what are your plans for the walls - wallpaper, paint, etc?

Old 02-11-04, 04:35 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
did you prime first?

IMHO (personal tastes) there is no such thing as too much "woodiness", but I understand that others have different tastes.

As for the trim you painted and the paint doesn't look good:
1) what prep work did you do? If the stain is shiny, it needs to be roughed up a bit with sandpaper - 220 grit is sufficient.
2) then apply a good stain-blocking primer
3) finally top coat (2 coats) with a quality paint.

Old 02-11-04, 10:08 AM
joshigh
Visiting Guest
Hi. I'm going to try sanding the finished trim, and trying a different primer, maybe one that will cover the stain better. My baseboards aren't in yet, but I'm probably making those white too, to match the crown, trim, and windows. I've just put in drywall, and it's painted to a beige/toupe/sandy color. I think with the floors finished, the walls will look nice against bright white trim, and long beams running the length. I don't have any doors, other than double sliders. Thanks for the tips!