Semi Gloss/High Gloss

Old 02-10-04, 09:50 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Semi Gloss/High Gloss

Hi

I am a little confused over the difference between High Gloss and Semi-high gloss paint.

I had originally bought a high-gloss white to do the baseboards, trim and doors in my home.

But after doing a little internet research, it seems maybe I should buy a semi-gloss. Someone told me that the high-gloss is for bath and kitchen. The semi-gloss is for baseboards/trim.

I guess it is a matter of personal prefernce, but in the same breath I don't want my home to be comical either.

Would someone explain to me the difference between the two? And where each paint is usually used?

Much appreciated.
Thanks,
Kathy

Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-04, 04:27 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
difference is in the sheen

High gloss is shinier, reflects much more light than semi-gloss. It is genereally easier to clean because the gloss doesn't allow dirt/grime to penetrate as much.

Because high gloss has so much shine, it is rarely used, and then only sparingly.

High gloss will also show more flaws. Flat (no shine at all) shows the least amount of flaws.

It is a matter of personal taste. I prefer semi-gloss in kitchens and bathrooms on the walls. Others prefer satin (less shine) in those rooms. I prefer my trim to be stained. If the trim is painted, I like a latex enamel.

Since you already have it, go ahead and paint the trim in one bathroom and see how you like it. At worst, you'll just have to repaint the trim in that one room.