painting

Old 02-10-04, 10:21 PM
jrrlalone
Visiting Guest
Question painting one wall darker than others

I am painting my living room and was wondering what are the rules for painting one wall darker/different color? I have seen it done but now that I am ready to do it myself, unsure which wall to do it to.

Mod note: title changed to more accurately reflect the question in the post.

Last edited by BobF; 02-11-04 at 04:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-04, 05:07 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You are referring to an accent wall. Choose the main focal point in the room, such as a fireplace. Or maybe a long wall that ties 2 rooms together. No hard rules for this, just pick what you think will look good.

Old 02-11-04, 07:07 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Accent walls are back in style!!!

true: no "hard" rules, but lots of "little guidelines"!!!

you can use that dark accent wall to balance out the room. for example, if there is a fireplace in the room, you might want to paint the OPPOSITE wall the darker accent color. that darker color will be visually heavy and will help balance out the heaviness of the fireplace wall.

you might also just pick a wall that doesn't have a lot "going on" and needs a splash of color. it could be that funky triangular shaped wall on the side of a staircase or the first wall that you see in an entryway when you come in the front door. or maybe you've got a beige sofa sitting on beige carpet up against a beige wall (ie "blah") so you might put a punch of color on that wall so your sofa stands out more.

it all depends on your circumstances. don't do it for no reason - make sure that you're really "adding" something to the room for a good reason.

have fun!!!