stain or varnish on exterior door?

Old 02-11-04, 10:00 PM
r5bales
Visiting Guest
Question stain or varnish on exterior door?

I live in Phoenix. I have a new sold alder door facing south. The bottom half of this door will get direct sunlight about 75% of the day. I have been reading about staining and how it applies to decking.

I have used varnish on other doors in the past, however I have been lazy about refinishing then every couple of years, (I wanted the finish to last 30 years, go figure.) and haven't been that wild about how the sun eats the doors up. I want something that is as ironclad as possible, because I paid a small fortune for this door.

Here is my question.... Do I use the same stain they are talking about that is usually applied to decking? Do I use a varnish? What brand/kind of each would you recommend.

Sidney

Old 02-12-04, 03:34 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
That much exposure to the sun will necessitate recoating every couple of years. The most durable coating for exposed wood is paint.

Old 02-12-04, 01:56 PM
r5bales
Visiting Guest
If painting is not an option, then what do you recommend? Varnish?

Old 02-12-04, 02:03 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Use a marine grade varnish, find one that has UV protection in it. Not sure of a specific brand name, but they are out there.

Old 02-12-04, 02:11 PM
Definitely use a marine grade varnish with lots of UV protection. You'll still need to maintain it every couple of years. We don't have your heat, but the sun eats wood doors around here.

Old 02-12-04, 04:47 PM
P
I wouldn't use deck stain. But here is what I would do. Use a brand like minwax regular wood stain. Then over that use Minwax Helmsman Spar Varnish. If the alder is a soft wood use wood conditioner on it before you stain. After you have stained it put 3 coats of Spar Varnish over that. I am pretty sure you can not use a Marine Varnish over Deck or house Stain. If I am wrong someone will let me know. But your best bet is to not use deck or house stain.

Old 02-12-04, 04:58 PM
P
the deck stain has water repellants in it which cause it not to work with the spar varnish which has similar properties. I had this happen to me when staining a garage door. called the companies and got this info. If you use deck or house stain you won't need the spar varnish anyways but you wont get the deep rich tone, I would stain it with minwax of your choice and then Spar varnish as I mentioned earlier

Old 02-12-04, 06:23 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Yeah, thats a good call, I didn't catch the part about deck stain in the 1st post.

Old 02-18-04, 09:27 AM
r5bales
Visiting Guest
Thanks guys, I am on my way to the paint store. I will let you know what happens.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: