Latex Primer

Old 02-14-04, 08:44 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
walls

i have been reading about primer. i guess there is a product called latex primer??

Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-04, 05:37 AM
They do make latex or water based primers, but I'd always had better results with an oil based primer. I think you'll get some more informed replies over in the painting section, so I'm gonna move you over there.

Old 02-15-04, 05:54 AM
F
painting sheetrock

o.k. here is my problem. i am redoing my kitchen. we are getting new cabinets and have removed all the old ones and, as so often happens, run into more work than we planned. my husband damaged some of the wallpaper so we had to remove that. one wall is covered with a decorative wallboard which has no place to end, so i think that needs to come off. we also removed the soffit above the cabinets. now we have a bunch of walls that are sheetrock and need some kind of priming and painting. the wall where the wallboard is probably has glue on it, too. HELP!!!!!!!!
i know i need a primer, and i will get the oil based. but i was reading somewhere that you could get some kind of texure and paint it on with a rough roller. any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-15-04, 06:25 AM
You can prime bare drywall with a latex primer, but you should seal any adhesive residue with oil primer.

Not sure what you read about texture and a rough roller, but if it sounds easy, it probably isn't.

Old 02-15-04, 06:31 AM
F
drywall

ok, i will do the primer. but when you say seal the adhesive residue with oil based primer...will that cover it so it won't show? it looks pretty dark on the one small survace we have removed so far. do i need KILZ to cover the color before i paint? or is KILZ considered "the primer?"
so if i seal it with primer then i can just paint with a good semi-gloss paint? can it be that easy?

Old 02-15-04, 06:36 AM
you should try to remove the adhesive as much as possible. The oil primer is just so the residue won't attack the latex paint and cause a failure. The oil will prime the wall and effectively block the color too.

Old 02-15-04, 06:39 AM
F
drywall

ok. thank you so much for the help. guess i better get to work, then. thanks!!