Hiding sagging drywall in the ceiling

Old 02-19-04, 06:58 PM
moose381
Visiting Guest
Hiding sagging drywall in the ceiling

I'm in the process of remodeling an old home that has a lot of sags in the drywall in the ceilings. Is there any way to minimize the visual impact of these sags? Type of paint? Texture? other? Any help would be very much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-04, 07:03 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Any texture or any color other than white will help hide it, but only a little.

Diffused or indirect lighting work best.

Old 02-22-04, 02:47 PM
Why is your ceiling sagging?? Try to screw it up better and repair.

Old 02-22-04, 05:03 PM
I would bet that the sagging is because someone used 1/2" instead of 5/8" drywall on the ceiling. If that's the case, use tricky lighting or rip it down and put up 5/8".

Old 02-23-04, 12:27 AM
boardslinger
Visiting Guest
Dave, houses are typically hung with 1/2" board. 1/2" residential 5/8" commercial. You are correct though that the board needs to be rescrewed. But only if the sag is not coming from any water damage or because the lid was hung with 1/4".

Old 02-25-04, 09:52 PM
I do see more & more 1/2" lid specs, as long as it's 16" centers & it's a single family, odds are that's what they'll call for.

I'm in the process of remodeling an old home that has a lot of sags in the drywall in the ceilings.
Leads me to think that it was just nailed and over the yrs the nails are beginning to back out. If it's in decent shape I'd screw it up tight. Then mud & tape as needed.

As was posted, you can hide some defects with the right paint or lighting, but it's better to fix the problem, or it will only get worse with time.

JMO

Old 03-01-04, 12:16 AM
moose381
Visiting Guest
It's a very old house and it's actually 1/2 inch drywall on 24 inch centers. The nails are holding fine...and there is no water damage. It's just that over the years gravity has taken it's toll on the thin drywall. I put another light fixture in the room and added some texture to the ceiling and it looks better. I probably should have torn it down and put new drywall up, but I'm remodeling the house to resell and didn't want to spend the time and money to do that. Structurally it's fine, just could see the sags in some places.

Thanks a lot for all your input. You guys are a great resource.