Need tip on large walls

Old 02-23-04, 09:01 PM
lancer1991
Visiting Guest
Need tip on large walls

I have about a 17' long wall with a vaulted ceiling that peaks out at 12' that I'm trying to paint. I'm doing a sponging off throughout the room and I've already done the small walls. Now I did these with my wife and it was a chore to keep a wet edge and avoid visible lines. If it was that bad on the small ones, I don't see how I can get the big ones to look good.

I'm using an egshell base and the sponging off is 1 part egshell (Valspar) 1 part clear glaze (Valspar) and 1 part water. I tried doing the jigsaw type patterns that I've read about for the glaze, but I'm still always chasing trying to blend that edge before it dries.

Now, I know this isn't crucial because I'm doing a faux over top, but I get the same problem with the base coat and not being able to keep a wet edge (worked on it by myself) and after it dries I get the lines where the overlap of the dry to wet paint was.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-04, 08:01 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
This is for the base coat, not the faux.

When we do a large wall, we cut it all in first, top, sides, and bottom. Start at one end, the high one preferably, and start roling. Go ceiling to floor on the rolls. If its too tall for one stroke to make it all the way, then redip and finish the stroke. Never cut the wall in half horizontally. You will have overlaps side to side, but shouldnt have them top to bottom.

Does this make sense?

Old 02-24-04, 12:37 PM
lancer1991
Visiting Guest
Yeah, thanks. I actually used an extension pole on the 2nd coat and only used the ladder to roll tight to the edges and it seemed to go much easier than climbing up and down, which I believe is what killed me.

Any help on the sponging off?

Old 02-24-04, 12:48 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sorry, there are a million different ways to sponge or faux a wall. All I can say is test drive your technique on some drywall or plywood until you get a consistent finish that you are happy with.

Old 02-24-04, 02:24 PM
lancer1991
Visiting Guest
I have the technique down, already did some walls, but had problems on larger walls with the edge drying out before I got to the next section.