Painting with red

Old 02-24-04, 06:25 AM
bfs2k
Visiting Guest
Question Painting with red

We are painting our dining room. This is a new house so only the cheap builders grade paint was on it. We are using Martha Stewart's Barn Red as the color on the top half of the chair railing and we are parpering the bottom half. We used Sherwin Williams best primer in gray as the guy told us to do. He said that when painting with red it is better to use a gray primer so you get better coverage.

My husband put on three coats and still there are sections that are uneven. There are darker areas and then areas that look lighter. He has painted for years and never had this problem. Is it the color? Does anyone have any tips on painting walls red?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-04, 08:06 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
combination of things

Its a combination of things. Deep red is the hardest color to make look good on a wall. Red has a lot of pigment and its hard to get that pigment evenly distributed.

You started right by using a grey tinted primer.

For the best job:
1) use a high quality paint from a paint store. Don't use paint from a big box or discount store. Higher quality paints are formulated to better distribute the pigment.
2) use high quality tools. Cheap tools do not hold enough paint and do not distribute the pigment evenly.
3) keep a wet edge - you may
4) don't over roll.

Old 02-24-04, 08:17 AM
My first guess would be operator or applicator error. My next guess would be to question the quality of the paint. Red is the hardestcolor to make look right. I've heard a lot of talk about these gray primers, but haven't been sold on that idea yet.

I would lightly sand all the walls, cut in one wall, then roll it out using a 3/8" nap roller. Roll as close to edges as possible, even sideways at top and bottom. Do only one wall at a time.

Old 03-08-04, 05:44 PM
B
Gray primer? I painted my dining room a deep red and used benjamin moore. The primer that I used was actually a florecent orange that was matched for the particular color I was using. The guy at the paint store said not to freak out when I saw the color of the primer because all would be fine. Painted the room about three years ago and it still looks fantastic. If you are going to repaint the room, I would highly recommend benjamin moore. Have nothing but good experiences with it and I painted several rooms in my house already. Actually, attacking the kitchen this week!

Good luck with the project.

Old 03-08-04, 08:48 PM
Benny Moore is #1 in my business too.

Old 03-09-04, 11:26 AM
A
This has come up several times. I did a bathroom in Ben Moore Confederate Red over GREEN and it covered in 2 coats perfectly. In fact this is the only room I'm really happy with.

Old 03-10-04, 05:27 AM
B
Yeah, benjamin moore seems to be the paint of choice for most pro's. I have used other paints in the past and when I used benjamin moore for the first time in my house, I saw a huge difference not only in the way it applied but also in the quality of the colors...very vibrant, not that diluted look. BM is a bit pricey but worth every cent in my opinion.