Painting over wallpaper

Old 02-24-04, 08:49 AM
kathughes2
Visiting Guest
Painting over wallpaper

My fiancee and I just bought our first house. We are beginning to paint so after our wedding in March we will not have to worry about fixing anything up. But, there is this ugly flower wallpaper in the kitchen, master bathroom, and guest bathroom. Is it possible to paint over the existing wallpaper? If so, how should we begin this project? Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-04, 08:51 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I never recommend painting over paper unless there is no possible way for it to be stripped off. It looks bad and is prone to failure.

Old 02-24-04, 06:02 PM
4jenkins
Visiting Guest
painting over wallpaper

I just got done stripping my walls in the bathroom and it was a horrible dirty and exhausting job. I tried chemically stripping but that was useless so I tried the steamer and it worked great but the drywall underneath peeled in quite alot of spots leaving the wall very rough and uneven in places. Now I am using a venetian plaster paint to cover up the rough surfaces so I don't have to spackle and then paint. I will NOT be removing the kitchen wallpaper. I will be painting over it because the bathroom was such a huge and expensive chore. If the wall paper is adhered well then don't worry about painting over it. I have seen other kitchens remodeled by just a coat of primer and then paint and it could not tell the difference.

Old 02-25-04, 04:35 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I'd remove it. Definately remove it. I think its going to cause problems later like ProWallGuy said.

Old 02-25-04, 07:28 PM
rsw
Visiting Guest
Thumbs down I wouldn't

I've always felt that walls should be perfect as you can get them before you paint them - wallpaper has seams, could lift if the paint reacts to the glue, etc, etc, and if you don't like the look then you've got wallpaper AND paint to remove so as to start over. It's a lot of extra work to take the paper off before you paint the wall, but I think you'd be far happier with the long term result