cabinets

Old 02-29-04, 05:55 PM
Olivia
Visiting Guest
cabinets

My husband asked me to go online for information on what to do with our kitchen cabinets...

We live in a 12 year old mobile home and were told and paid for Amish made Kitchen cabinets and that they were cherry wood. What a joke. They are a mess and I want to paint them. They are laminated....Also the hardware which were brass aren't anymore.

You can see where the cabinets under the sink are terrible looking where they have gotten wet from me washing the dishes
and using the sink.

I want to brighten up my kitchen with all the back done in white oil based and the cabinet doors all done in pastel colors. We have a total of 23 cabinet doors and 4 drawers.

What do we do first ? We are both disabled and so funds are limited and we are on our own.

After we do this we have vinyl walls I would like to paint, but, the cabinets must be done first.

Thanks in advance for any information on how we are to do this.

Old 02-29-04, 07:18 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
HI Olivia , First take off everything like handles etc. Take the cabinet doors off the hinges so everything can be painted on a flat surface. Oil or alkylyd paint is very runny and you will get grip marks if you don't paint them on a flat plane. If you get oil paint on the hardware and it dries its extremely difficult to get off. Then get a 3 inch by 1 inch sanding sponge of fine to medium grit. I prefer it to sand paper , it works so much better without the hassle of paper. Then lightly sand all surfaces. Use a good oil primer. After priming the surface . ( use a black china bristle brush) Go over the surfaces again lightly with the sponge. Oil will hold u[p better than latex paint especially on cabinets. It may yellow years down the line if your using white though which is the drawback, Then paint th surfaces with a light coat. Don't worry how it looks now as you need two coats anyways, all your looking for is coverage on the first coat. After the first coat has dried 24 hours, your ready to lightly sand again( any drips or runs you might have can be sanded out now) Dont try to brush them out. The drawback to oil is the long drying time. But over all I think its the best choice.

Old 02-29-04, 07:21 PM
P
forgot to mention to let primer dry 24 hours if you use oil primer. also I prefer to use paint deglooser and steel wool before I sand and prime but given your circumstances and the strong odors it produces you may skip this step.

Old 02-29-04, 07:24 PM
P
OH and sorry again make sure you get all the sanding dust off with tack cloth between coats

Old 03-05-04, 07:37 PM
Olivia
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up cabinets

Thank you, I printed out your reply and gave it to my husband. Yes we are taking the cabinet doors outside and laying them on the deck table to work on them. Oil based I know is hard to work with, but, it looks better and lasts.

Do you think the white is not a good color for the background? I want to paint the doors different colors like pink, lavender, yellow, turquoise, etc. Maybe I should paint the wall ones another color besides white> What color would you recommend?

My kitchen has vinyl floral printed walls at the moment and they are dusty rose, country blue, green and white. We can always paint those later a solid color. Do you think Country Blue for a background would be good?

Thanks again,
Olivia

Old 03-05-04, 08:10 PM
P
Glad to be of help Olivia. I am not sure as what you mean by background. White iis always ok for a kitchen as it gives the look of cleanliness. I am not a decorator but I have heard greens and yellow shades are popular for kitchens at this time.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: