Exterior paint prep

Old 03-01-04, 06:41 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exterior paint prep

I have a house that was painted by the previous owner about two years ago. It's a tudor style, with stucco/timber beams, and the beams and trim are all painted this horrible bright kelly green color that i just can't stand any longer. Fortunately, it appears that they did an excellent job w/ the prep work, because it still looks like it was painted yesterday. My plan is to repaint only the green, as the off-white used on the stucco looks great to me. It's all in pretty good shape, nothing is peeling or flaking, except for on a few windows, and i can handle those fixes. The question I have is, do I need to prime over the green before painting? I'm going to be using a darker color most likely, probably more of a gray/brown. Obviously, for simplicity, i'd prefer to be able to just paint right on top of the exist. green, but want to get other opinions.

Thanks

Mark

Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-04, 06:52 AM
Well a darker color will probably require more than one coat, so I would use a primer for the first coat, tinted to the finish color. Can't hurt, you will already be painting 2 coats anyways, might as well prime it in the process. It will provide a better bond for the finish, and primers are cheaper than paints.

Old 03-01-04, 08:04 AM
M
Funny, i hadn't even thought about tinting it! I was assuming white primer, then that it would take two coats on top of that, and that's why I wanted to skip the primer .