Painting over 70's porous odd panels?

Old 03-02-04, 06:44 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Painting over 70's porous odd panels?


We have a ranch style home that was built in 1972, most bedrooms have thin wood panels, which we can easily paint over. However, in the bathroom we have a sort of paneling I havent really ever seen before, it is a pale greenish color and appears to be quite thick ( can see the width in some edges where the panels are next to each other), it has little randome sized holes all through it, ( the holes do not go all the way thru) I think this was supposed to be decrative, but it looks sort of like a sponge ( just so you get an idea of what Im talking about) Can this weird stuff be painted over? Or do we have to install drywall. And if we can prime/paint it, what to do about the few panels that the edges appear to be pushed farther out than the others? Thanks for any input you may have.

Old 03-03-04, 10:16 AM
prowallguy's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: St. Louis MO
Posts: 2,510
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I would try to nail down the loose panels, or if they can be pulled away from the wall a smidge, shoot some liquid nail behind them.
I'm pretty sure these could be painted. Scuff sand the surface, prime then paint.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title: